Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Thursday, April 16, 2015

N is for...

This is my 6th year for doing the challenge. To learn more go to The A to Z Challenge Blog.

This year it's all about the 
The A to Z of 
A LIZARD'S TAIL


In which I will describe, show pictures of, and otherwise expound on plants and animals mentioned in the novel.


N is for Nickolas the Nighthawk

As you can see, Nickolas is not really a hawk. What he is, is a solitary bird who flies at night, feeding on insects. Being a loner, Nickolas makes the perfect nighttime guard. 
Common Nighthawk (8291883424)
I remember as a kid as we drove home at night, how excited we would get when we'd see a nighthawk swoop out of the dark to snatch up insects attracted by our head lights. Sometimes a bird would follow us a little ways, but never for very long. Three or four swoops was about all we could expect.

4 comments:

  1. I understand your fascination. In our narrow country lanes, it is a rare treat to see a fox cross the lane in front of us, off on his night time raids, sometimes only seeing his brush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good news for Marvin - he's not a late night snack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun to hear about all these great characters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to watch the hawks swope and soar. When I moved to the islands I was surprised to see so many hawks, including Red Tails. I absolutely love the call of the Red Tail. A lot of people think they cry is that of the Bald Eagle, but not so. The Bald Eagle actually has a kind of whimpy cry compared to a Red Tail.

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!