Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A is for....


Click HERE for a list of all
the participants!
For this, my 5th year doing the Challenge, it's going to be the
A to Z of Anansi the spider

A is for Anansi. (pronounced ah-NAN-see)

Obviously. Who is Anansi the spider? He is a trickster character brought into the Caribbean by the Ashanti of West Africa, which makes him very old. His time in the islands alone is over 400 years. In his homeland of Ghana, he was the god of knowledge and story telling.

In the Caribbean his stories are as varied as the islands and the people who tell them. There may be similarities, but each story teller can put his or her individual stamp on a tale. Even his name and it's spelling can change from place to place, person to person: Bru Nancy, Hanansi, Anancy, Ananse, Brer Nansi, 'Nansi.

As a trickster he is flawed and has both good and bad traits, which makes him very human. Many times his tricks backfire on him and he becomes the victim of his own greed. Whatever the outcome, Anansi teaches us life lessons and why things are the way they are.



23 comments:

  1. He was a cute character, Bish!
    Be sure to visit Michael's post today. Anansi gets around...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bish,

    Such a great post! And such a cute spider :)
    I look forward to your other posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bish .. I love the sound of the stories Anansi has created for us .. his wisdom of yore from another continent to the myth and legend of the Caribbean ..

    Great to see Anansi here and then over at Michael's too ... I'll be there .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course you would start with dear Anansi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He sounds like a rather down to earth and imperfect (therefore human) character. I look forward to seeing your other posts for the A to Z!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anansi is so much fun. Of course, I could be biased because I love spiders... Did you ever read Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys? Amazing book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for Anansi! You know, I wrote about a spider bite in one of my stories, and 70% of my beta readers didn't know what a spider bite feels like. Seriously? I'm thinking they led very sheltered childhoods. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bish
    Another challenge for us. You are always so right on. When I first read the name Anansi, I thought, I wonder how that is pronounced and the very next line, you said how to pronounce it. Haha
    See you on B-Day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha this was so much fun. What a way to start off the A to Z challenge! Happy blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just knew this would be your A post! I must be psychic. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anansi sounds like quite a character indeed. Thanks so much for all your help with the Challenge this year, Bish :)

    MJ, A to Z Challenge Co-Host
    Writing Tips
    Effectively Human
    Lots of Crochet Stitches


    ReplyDelete
  12. Five years, I'm impressed. I did the A to Z one year and that was enough for me, but I do enjoy lurking around others sites. Your will be most enjoyable I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Of course: Anansi, the rascal. Excellent choice to start the marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Except for Charlotte, I think this is the only book I've heard of from a spider's perspective. Cool idea, and I love the historical folklore aspect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi human, Bish,

    Pawesome stuff, my good human friend. A is for Anansi. I'm glad I visited you web site. Arf! Arf!

    Penny, the pawsitive host of the Alphabark Challenge, 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always love a good trickster story!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have to humanize animals and insects. I think this is where some writers fail. I like that he is a trickster. Aren't we all, at least now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good ole Anansi. Gotta love the tricksters.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not fond of spiders in real life, but I like some of them in stories--Charlotte from Charlotte's Web, for example. :) (Now, the huge spiders in Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings... not so much!)

    Stopping by from the A to Z. :) I'm at jaimieramsey.com.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've learnt something new! I'm a UK SCBWI member. Great to follow and connect with an AtoZ host! Look forward to more.
    http://aimingforapublishingdeal.blogspot.co.uk/
    Twitter: WriterBizWoman

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't like spiders, but I think I can make an exception for this one. He doesn't seem so bad :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've heard this title before but never read any of the stories- sounds like something I should check out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very fun. He's a bit like Coyote in American Indian tales then?

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!