Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Random Thought Thursday

Last week my guest was Plutarch. I thought I'd continue along the same line with quotes from Ancient Athens.

Both have to do with same subject. I don't think I need to go into detail about the importance of a good beginning. That opening sentence, paragraph, page, chapter, all have to combine in a way that pulls the reader in and makes him/her want VERY MUCH to continue reading.

This is not (gasp) a new idea.

Euripides (480 BC to 406BC) the great tragedian wrote:
A bad beginning makes a bad ending.




Plato (428/427 BC – 348/347 BC) student of Socrates, teacher to Aristotle wrote:

The beginning is the most important part of of the work.


Alright, alright, alright.

I get it. It's been there all along, the signposts, the information, the knowledge, the wisdom.

Now...if I can only figure out how put it into practice.

Have you learned something "new" lately that's really as old as say... Plato?

10 comments:

  1. Haven't had any revelations lately, but this does illustrate how important that opening is, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, putting it into practice is the challenge! Thanks for sharing this ancient wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so true! I just decided, with the help of my crit group, to make my second chapter my first instead because it is a much better taking off point into the good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone somewhere once said, "the first chapter should be the last chapter in disguise..." Hmmm.

    My Frog Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an intuitive thought, Samantha. It does all come full circle when you think about it. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesterday I was listening to a Plot Whisperer video and she said knowing the end helps inform your beginning, which I already knew. But somehow, hearing her say it yesterday, suddenly made it hit home in a way it hadn't before. Funny how that can happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BISH! Thank you so much for the beautiful gifts that you sent. They arrived yesterday and blew me away! You are so creative and talented--I can't wait to wear my new jewelry and the bookmark is an absolute treasure.

    A very kind gift--I hope you know if you ever need anything, I'm just a email away!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did these people get to be so smart? And where can I get some of their smart drugs? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love writing the beginning.

    It's that middle and end that get me every time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like Anne says, I love beginnings. And endings too. The middle gets awfully messy, though, and I'm right smack in it right now ... revising, untangling ... but learning more and more.

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!