Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Y is for...

Click HERE for a list of all
the participants!
For this, my 5th year doing the Challenge, it's the
A to Z of Anansi the spider.

Y is for Yam

Sweet potatoes
Did you know sweet potatoes are
members of the morning glory family?

When you think of yams, you might picture these guys, those orange colored tubers we serve up at Thanksgiving.





When I think of yams I'm thinking of something more like this.
Nhame

These are true yams, belonging to the Yam family. They are not sweet, but rather kind of dry and starchy. You can read more about them HERE.

In Africa and in the Caribbean they have long been a staple as well as a versatile tuber. So when you read about yams in the Anansi stories, these are the ones that are being referenced.

13 comments:

  1. I am curious how they are used or cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents are fond of Yam, just had it a few days back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yams taste amazing in a meat and potato stew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew I'd learn something here today. I didn't know sweet potatoes were in the same family as the morning glory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are different kinds of yams? And one of them is from a flower family? Learned something new today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting- I always assumed that yams were the orange ones and sweet potatoes were the white ones. Learn something new every day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post!

    Please visit my blog, http://www.thatgirlybookworm.blogspot.ca

    I'm also participating in the A-Z Challenge and my theme features books and their titles. The title begins with the letter of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So wait...yams and sweet potatoes aren't the same? I always thought they were! I've had a dish called "candied yams." Didn't care for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love yams and sweet potatoes and most tubers. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a yam fan. I had mashed yams with whiskey glaze at a restaurant in New York. I've craved them again every since.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always wanted to try the real thing. Which do you prefer?

    It took me a long time to like the taste of sweet potatoes. When I was a kid, I was weirded out by the intense sweetness and mushy texture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I've had this type of yam before. Maybe I came across it at a Caribbean restaurant and didn't know it.

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!