Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Monday, August 26, 2013

Saying Good-bye to Jay

I got the word over the week-end. No need for condolences. We will rejoice in his life.

 In Memory of my best friend
 
 Jay Gordon Chapman, July 31st 1950 - August 17, 2013

I've mentioned Jay a few times on my blog as my childhood best friend. But I haven't really shared stories of our exploits because Jay and I lost touch. Our lives took different paths and I didn't feel comfortable writing about him without his permission. But that has changed now.... Stories will be shared in time.


Jay was a brilliant natural comedian. He could easily have held his own on "Whose Line is it Anyway" and had the other participants peeing their pants. More than once he had me (and others) literally on the floor rolling, holding my sides, laughing so hard I'd be gasping for air saying, "Stop! Please stop!" His imitation of a crab scuttling sideways or a lizard doing push-ups were priceless. Then there were his various personae:

Zack Stone. Serial killer or Kevin Costner impersonator?

Jay, on right, as Dr. Nasty.

No caption needed.

And my favorite: The wildman.
He was a natural wood carver and carved walking sticks, at one point taking commissions and carving sticks with specially requested designs.

Jay was an excellent dancer with great rhythm. He played a mean set of spoons and for many years played percussion in a number of small jazz bands.

Jay, on right, playing tamboura with our friend John, on sitar.

He was a fine cook.

One of his *magical* abilities was how he could to take away headaches. There was something in his touch, he could pulled the pain right out of your head.

He made everybody laugh.

May you make the angels laugh as well.

Good-bye my dear sweet friend. I would not be who I am, would not be the writer, had you not been in my life. I have no doubt that we will meet again one day.


I dedicate "Blackbird" to you and the day we first listened to The White Album together. This is a lovely cover by Sarah McLauchlan.


Count Jay de Booger has left the building.

16 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, Bish. He sounds like one of those people who was truly alive and a spark of life and energy wherever he went. I bet he's amusing God right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you lost such a good friend. I bet he was the life of every party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for helping us to know Jay a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why you must have many precious memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He sounds like a great guy and a wonderful friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laughter is an undervalued gift. Great song.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laughter is an undervalued gift. Great song.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you had this wonderful friend in your life, Bish.
    Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful tribute. He could definitely pass as a Kevin Costner impersonator ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Living life as joyously as Jay clearly did is definitely cause for celebration. May his gift of laughter be with you for many years to come. Thinking of you (((((HUGS))))

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to work with jay and he always had a smile on his face and could always make you laugh no matter what. Jay was a great man with a good heart and he will be missed vary much. Thank you for letting us know learn more about Jay

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like he was a wonderful, vibrant person. What a blessing it must have been to know him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Bish .. how lovely that we'll learn more about him, when you're ready. He obviously lived life to the full and gave much encouragement to others ...

    Your post is a lovely memory to him .. while Sarah McLaughlin's rendition of Blackbird is just beautiful ..

    with thoughts - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hugs, my friend. May he rest in peace forever. This was a lovely tribute to Jay.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jay was an awesome person to work with. He could make the driest of customers smile. He would sing to kids and make them laugh. He would make funny faces that are still clear ib my mind. A personality and aura like Jay's will truly be miss.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Far too young and with so much left to do. Yet he accomplished a lot and he left a legacy of love and laughter.

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!