Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Monday, July 2, 2012

Cicada Lullaby

 I don't mean to complain, but it's still hot and dry here in Texas and we still need rain.

That said, the invisible tree singers are out. I have never seen a cicada in a tree or seen one singing, they are so well camouflaged, and yet they loudly proclaim their presence. Sometimes we find the abandoned exoskeleton of a nymph clinging to the side of a tree or a building, but I've never seen one emerge.

However a few days ago we were giving this present.
This beautiful creature has been living underground as nymph anywhere from eleven to seventeen years and we just happened to be at the right place at the right time to see it still clinging to its exoskeleton. What are the odds?

I learned while trying to find a nice video of their song that they come in a variety of sizes and sing a variety of different songs. This clip was taken in Texas and the sound is just like what we're hearing in our yard.



Though I know their noise bothers some, I love the song of the cicada. In fact I wrote a song about their music many years ago. Too bad you can't hear the melody.

Here are the words to:

Cicada Lullaby

Simmering summer, shimmering heat waves
Grass turning brown in the sun.
Crystalline waters sparkle with diamonds
Amid the trees there's a song being sung.
    ChiRoo, ChiRah, ChiRye
    ChiRoo, ChiRah, ChiRye
    ChiRoo, ChiRah, ChiRye
    It's the cicada lullaby.

Laughter of children playing in rivers
Butterflies float on the breeze
The rustle of oak leaves, cheeping of sparrows
High overhead there's a song in the trees.
    ChiRoo, ChiRah, ChiRye
    ChiRoo, ChiRah, ChiRye
    ChiRoo, ChiRah, ChiRye
    It's the cicada lullaby.

Warm breezes blowing to cool the brow
The sweat of hard labor is done
Deep blue the bright sky with dancing fairies
While in the leaves there's a song being sung.
    ChiRoo, ChiRah, ChiRye
    ChiRoo, ChiRah, ChiRye
    ChiRoo, ChiRah, ChiRye
    It's the cicada lullaby.


Sunlight that's fading with colors blazing
Shadows that fade with the sun
My love beside me, my old dog here too
We hear the song in the trees being sung.
    ChiChiRoo, ChiChiRah, ChiChiRye
    ChiChiRoo, ChiChiRah, ChiChiRye
    ChiChiRoo, ChiChiRah, ChiChiRye
    It's the cicada lullaby.
    It's the cicada lullaby!

Have you ever heard cicadas? Do they sing for you, or are they just noisy bugs?

15 comments:

  1. Well, I always thought they were noisy bugs, but now I have another way of looking at them thanks to you. Beautiful song.

    I'm back now, more than I was, so if you need any more questions answered, I'm around.

    Here's hoping for some rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love their "noise"--and we recently have been stopping to listen more intently---lovely poem :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to hear the melody and I did enjoy the video. I don't think I've seen any cicadas where I am. With a noise like that, I would have remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Bish, I love this! What a gift from the Universe. I too love all the insect sounds -- it's a veritable orchestra!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How 'bout recording your song and posting it on YouTube? I'd love to hear it!

    I miss the sound of the cicadas, but can do without seeing them. I remember one year from my childhood they were buzzing around all over - I was terrified of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard cicadas, but I've never actually seen one. that is an awesome picture!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cicadas song and I loved the poem. Definitely a lullaby.

    And how lucky to see something so special as a cicada emerging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your song inspires vivid word pictures. Can't hear the sound now, will check back later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never heard a cicada- but have always been curious about them. Thanks for including the clip! Also- I love your song. It gave me a
    clear idea of the cicada and their song! What a
    fabulous and magical picture!! :)

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just remember how quiet it was after the finally left. You grow accustomed to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can send you our rain. I want to paint the fence and the painters want to paint the outside of the house, and all we get is rain. Then we have to wait for the wood to dry before we can paint. Darn thunderstorms.

    I remember cicadas from when I lived in Houston. We don't get them where I live in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will never forget how loud they were when I was in Croatia! Yikes!

    I wish we could send you some rain from London. Wettest June since records began!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've only heard them on TV programs. Amazing you saw that one emerge after all those years!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's an amazing photo! I don't think I've ever seen a cicada, though are they of the grasshopper/cricket family? Because crickets have quite the night song when they're out...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bish, this is just too weird. We are so much alike...I'm so glad I happened upon your blog recently. Just this evening, I posted about cicadas and locusts on my Nostalgic Sunday post! And I swear I had not already seen or read this one of yours!! Gee, we're both something, aren't we? :)

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!