Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Friday, September 4, 2009

Random Thoughts Friday

Anne Morrow Lindbergh. Her book GIFT FROM THE SEA was, I do believe, the first inspirational book I ever read. What moved me was not so much what she wrote, but her, herself. That she could write with such depth and compassion and beauty and hope after experiencing the kidnapping and murder of her son WAS the inspiration for me. As always, other inspirational authors followed, most notably, Kahlil Gibran.

AML died at the ripe old age of 95 in 2001.

"I don't see why I am always asking for private, individual, selfish miracles when every year there are miracles like white dogwood."

"Arranging a bowl of flowers in the morning can give a sense of quiet in a crowded day - like writing a poem or saying a prayer."

"Grief can't be shared. Everyone carries it alone. His own burden in his own way."

"I believe that what woman resents is not so much giving herself in pieces as giving herself purposelessly."

"I do not believe that sheer suffering teaches. If suffering alone taught, all the world would be wise, since everyone suffers. To suffering must be added mourning, understanding, patience, love, openness and the willingness to remain vulnerable."

"If you surrender completely to the moments as they pass, you live more richly those moments."

"It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded."

"One cannot collect all the beautiful shells on the beach. One can collect only a few, and they are more beautiful if they are few."

"The sea does not reward those who are too anxious, too greedy, or too impatient. One should lie empty, open, choiceless as a beach - waiting for a gift from the sea."

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful quotes. Great start to my morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bish,
    I really loved that book... what impressed me was how open she was. Glad to learn (from your blog!) that she lived to 95!

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!