Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Friday, August 14, 2009

Random Thoughts Friday

L. Frank Baum. Our mother read many of the Oz books to us. Erva and I were totally captivated. One of my favorite characters was the Glass Cat from The Patchwork Girl of Oz who was vain and made comments about her pink brains. Baum's first name was Lyman. Like Robert Louis Stevenson, he was a sickly child and was educated at home. Many don't realize how prolific a writer he was. He not only wrote the Oz series, but he wrote many other books and stories under these pseudonyms:

Edith Van Dyne, Laura Bancroft, Floyd Akers, Susanne Metcalf, Schuyler Staunton, John Estes Cook and Capt. Hugh Fitzgerald.

“Imagination has brought mankind through the dark ages to its present state of civilization. Imagination led Columbus to discover America. Imagination led Franklin to discover electricity.”
“Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again”

"Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable."

"No matter how dreary and gray our homes are, we people of flesh and blood would rather live there than in any other country, be it ever so beautiful. There is no place like home."

"There is no living thing that is not afraid when it faces danger. The true courage is in facing danger when you are afraid."

"A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others"

"Never give up. No one knows what's going to happen next."

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting about Baum's pseudonyms. Do you know if he did that because the books were aimed a different ages, genders, genres?
    I particularly like: Never give up. No one knows what's going to happen next.
    Lovely post. Hope you are doing well in the islands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading the quotes. After SCBWI I like to continue with the uplifting and energizing messages people have given us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I've never read anything by him. I'll have to now for sure! Great quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bish;
    I learn so much reading your blog! I hope you are having a great summer. These quotes a beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!