My blog-friend Angela has an interesting game of tag going on which I am here-by passing on to anyone who might like to come out and play.
The idea (without taking any time to think about it) is to list 20 books that are important to you, that have "stayed" with you, made a difference.
Here's my list, in no particular order. And yes, I know it's over 20...but, well, get over it!
1. The World of Pooh
2. The World of Christopher Robin
3. The Cat in the Hat
4. A Child's Garden of Verses
6. The Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde
7. The Secret Garden
8. The Book Thief
9. Call of the Wild and White Fang
10. The Oz books (I'll count them as one!)
11. East of Eden and Cannery Row
12. The Lord of the Rings
13. The Collected Works of William Butler Yeats
14. Animal Farm
15. One Day in the Life of Ivan Danisovich
16. Writing Down the Bones
18. The Princess and Curdie
19. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nihm
20. Lord of the Flies
21. The Essays of Ralph Waldo Emerson
22. Light on the Path and Through the Gates of Gold
23. Zen in the Art of Writing
24. Diary of Anne Frank
25. Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc
There are so many others...Anderson's and Grimm's Fairytales, other books by Mark Twain, Steinbeck, and Jack London, Green Mansions, The Neverending Story...But the above are the ones that came to mind first. They are books for the most part, that I have on my shelves, and no matter how long or short the time between visits to their pages, when I pick them up I am once again carried away much as I was the first time I read them.