Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Uncle Sam's Camels

Between 1856 and 1866 the U. S. Army conducted an experiment which, though short-lived and interrupted by the Civil War, was a success.

Check out my article, “Uncle Sam’s Camels” in the March/April issue of Wee Ones.

http://www.weeonesmag.com/weeones/monthly6.html (Unfortunately the article is no longer available.)

I’m proud (and a little sad) to have been included in this last year of publication of a fine children’s magazine.

The pictures in the article, and those shown here, were taken by me at the 150th anniversary of the camels returning to Camp Verde. Most happily for me, Camp Verde is about six miles down
the road from where I live!







Camel crossing









Camels in front of the 150 year old Camp Verde General Store







Camel and me (they are very interesting and intelligent creatures)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that would be quite a sight! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had NEVER heard of that until I read your article. Great insight!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!