Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Wednesday, April 3, 2019

IWSG, Washington Irving, Being Thankful

Posting the First Wednesday of every month, the Insecure Writer's Support Group, is the brainchild of Alex Cavanaugh. YOU can sign up HERE to participate.

Every month a question will be posed that may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Remember, the question is optional. You can write about anything that relates to your writing journey.

Let's give a warm welcome to our co-hosts:  J.H. Moncrieff, Natalie Aguirre, Patsy Collins, and Chemist Ken!

This month's question is:  If you could use a wish to help you write just ONE scene/chapter of your book, which one would it be? (examples: fight scene / first kiss scene / death scene / chase scene / first chapter / middle chapter / end chapter, etc.)

I'm late to the party today. The first Wednesday snuck up on me unawares. At least, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. So... This post is a bit of a cop-out.

To answer the question, I would probably wish for help with a fight scene. I'm basically such a peaceful, non-violent person I have trouble writing arguments!
***
Portrait of Washington Irving by John Wesley Jarvis in 1809

Today is Washington Irving's birthday. Who doesn't know about Rip Van Winkle or The Legend of Sleepy Hollow? Did you know he had a long and deep friendship with Sir Walter Scott, that he was born in New York City the week the British surrendered at York Town, and was named after George Washington?

To honor him and give him a little love, here are a few quotes.

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love.

Jealous people poison their own banquet and then eat it.

One of the greatest and simplest tools for learning more and growing is doing more.

A kind heart is a fountain of gladness, making everything in its vicinity freshen into smiles.

Some minds seem almost to create themselves, springing up under every disadvantage and working their solitary but irresistible way through a thousand obstacles.

I have never found, in anything outside of the four walls of my study, an enjoyment equal to sitting at my writing desk with a clean page, a new theme, and a mind awake.

I am always at a loss at how much to believe of my own stories.

I can relate to this last one.
***
Being Thankful
Today I'm thankful for Spring which seems to have finally, and firmly, planted her feet in the soil and wrapped her arms around the trees causing them to celebrate by getting dressed in their beautiful new green gowns.

Here are a few pictures of the bees in our bluebonnets, their pollen sacs filled with red pollen.




What are you thankful for? Do any of Irving's quotes resonate with you? What scene or chapter would wish for help with? Is Spring showing up where you live?

17 comments:

  1. A great tribute to Washington Irving! And I love your spring blossoms. This year we'll have a ton of wildflowers since we had so much rain. I love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't gotten the rain we usually do so the flowers are a bit sparse, but we'll take what we have!

      Delete
  2. Doing more will help you learn more.
    I'll help you with fight scenes if you write my kissing scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I write mostly middle grade my kissing scenes might be rather awkward with bumping noses and teeth. :D

      Delete
  3. Great quotes, great author to highlight, and beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful pictures!
    It felt like winter this morning when it was 30 degrees and raining, but then spring in the afternoon when it was sunny and 60. We sometimes get multiple seasons per day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful flowers.

    I love the quote about jealousy. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed the quote and the flowers are beautiful. Happy IWSG!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quotes are great. I see many Americans celebrating spring. I'm celebrating autumn after the hottest summer in Oz history. Climate change. Egad! Pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the first one resonates with me because I remember bawling at some ceremony at the end of my senior year in high school and although I was absolutely mortified at my public outburst, I realized that it showed how much that year meant to me. I had been new in that school that year as we had moved the summer before, and I made great friends, had great experiences, and I don't think such an outpouring would have been possible if I had stayed at my old school.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bluebonnets are gorgeous. Glad the bees are working!

    I didn't know that Washington Irving and Sir Walter Scott were friends. I identify with the same quote that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those flowers are so pretty. Therapeutic.
    "One of the greatest and simplest tools for learning more and growing is doing more." I agree. Productivity = learning = growth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. IWSG Day snuck up on me, too. I was fortunate to have a post already scheduled or else I would've forgotten completely. I'm just now returning visits. :\

    ReplyDelete
  12. Although I'm aware of his best-known writings, I knew virtually nothing about Washington Irving.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the quotes. I think my favorite might be the one about jealousy.

    <3 the pictures of the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thoroughly enjoyed the quotes as well as the gorgeous photos of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those blue bonnets are lovely. I can't grow them up here in northern CA. Tried, but failed.

    The quotes were great. I've read Rip Van Winkle and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, but nothing more by Irving, so these were enlightening.

    Loved the post.

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!