Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

IWSG, Titles to Write By, Being Thankful

Posting the First Wednesday of every month, the Insecure Writer's Support Group, is the brainchild of Alex Cavanaugh. YOU can sign up HERE to participate.

Every month a question will be posed that may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Remember, the question is optional. You can write about anything that relates to your writing journey.

Let's give a warm welcome to our co-hosts:  Fundy Blue, Beverly Stowe McClure, Erika Beebe, and Lisa Buie-Collard!

This month's question is: Whose perspective do you like to write from best, the hero (protagonist) or the villain (antagonist)? And why?

I like writing from the hero's POV because I tend to be one of those hopeful, idealistic people who isn't all that comfortable writing about bad people. Besides, I don't think I'm all that good with villains and confess that my antagonists tend to be the environment/setting/weather or an internal conflict that the hero has to overcome or come to terms with within him/herself.

If you're interested, K. M. Weiland, a prolific author who produces tons of writing advice, has a nice simple explanation of the various antagonists that aren't human HERE.
***
"Titles to Write By" is an occasional blog post in which we play with a single word and turn it into, what else, titles! Afterwards the object is to pick one of them and write a little something.

It was Ray Bradbury, in his book ZEN IN THE ART OF WRITING, who taught me about making lists of words and turning them into titles. If you haven't read it I highly recommend that you do.

For no particular reason, today's word is:
Freedom


Here are a few possible titles:

Freedom on Wings
How I Learned the True Meaning of Freedom
Freedom Isn't What You Think
The Freedom Flood
The Road to Freedom is Filled With Potholes
Inner Freedom and Enlightenment
Freedom Within the Beehive

Now, think up some titles of your own and go forth and write!
***
Being Thankful
Today I'm thankful for food in my belly and dishes to wash.
So many are hungry and don't have dishes or hot running water.

What are you  thankful for? Do you like writing from the hero's or villain's POV? Do any of the titles spark an idea? Have a title suggestion of your own?

22 comments:

  1. I write from the hero's POV too. I need to start reading K.M. Weiland's posts. I've heard that they are so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good. She posts on facebook quite a bit a well. Asks a writing question every day.

      Delete
  2. My antagonist is often those things, or the hero himself.
    I'll try to remember that thankfulness tonight when I do the dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, remembering to be thankful for the little things is important.

      Delete
  3. I'm like you in that I look for the heroic in people. That's what I want to see and honor in a story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I feel there's a need to be upbeat and positive.

      Delete
  4. Freedom Within the Beehive...I'd like to read that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm an optimistic and hopeful person, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there may be more of us than I think.

      Delete
  6. Ray Bradbury is one of my favorite all time writers. He was/is such an inspiration. I did read his "Zen" book and got a lot of good advice from it. Great ideas on titles. I do have a difficult time coming up with good ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Bradbury too. He was a "magical" writer.

      Delete
  7. I like writing from both, but sometimes the villain is more fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard about the villains be fun to write. Maybe I'm just chicken. :D

      Delete
  8. A neat way to come up with a title. I write from the hero's view, but it might be fun to use the villain's viewpoint. Why he/she is the way he/she is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most people write from the hero's POV. It's what we know, what we like, even if the hero is very flawed.

      Delete
  9. Hi, Bish! Love your photo and your expression of gratitude. I'm staring at a panful of dishes waiting to be washed right now. I try to be grateful for the ordinary things in my life, things I can take for granted, like turning on a tap and getting hot water, rather than having to carry it and heat it which I experienced in part of my childhood. Thanks for the Ray Bradbury tip. I wasn't aware of his book on writing. I usually don't write from titles, rather my titles come out of a phrase somewhere in the piece I am working on. Happy writing in March!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bradbury's book is fabulous. My personal favorite. My and I grew up without running water and no electricity so I, too, appreciate these "small" things.

      Delete
  10. If you can be grateful for a sink of dirty dishes, you're right up there with the most noble among us. But of course you are. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Today I am thankful for lovely writer friends who recommend good books on craft.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't like writing from the villain's pov, unless s/he has some redeeming qualities or adds tension to the story. I prefer the hero's (male & female) pov. Like you, Bish, I have hope that good will triumph. Thanks for recommending Bradbury's book. I haven't heard of that one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am thankful I spent the day cleaning the house. It really needed it.

    For some reason, Freedom's Fool came to mind. Not sure why. Perhaps many people think they need to be free of something, but if they accomplish that, then they miss it.

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!