Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Monday, September 28, 2015

What I Did Last Week, A Win, and Being Thankful

Thank you all, who wished me and my Sweetie a happy anniversary last week Monday. I had these wonderful intentions of visiting with those of you who so kindly commented and other bloggers as well, but... well, I ended up in the hospital. So instead of having a nice dinner at a nice restaurant on my 30th, I was on IV fluids and ice chips! It takes me a while to recuperate from these bouts with intestinal blockages during which time I'm just not interested in sitting at the computer and visiting.

But I'm back again, and here I am, and all is well.

My first excursion out of the house was on Friday the 25th. It was Texas Heritage Music Day put on by the Texas Heritage Music Foundation. It's an opportunity for school kids of all ages, not to mention adults, to see demonstrations on things like how weave pine needle baskets, spin wool, tan hides, or sit in a tepee. And, while wandering around, there is all kinds of different music drifting on the air: blue grass, Tejano, a dulcimer orchestra, banjos... It's all about living Texas history and music.

But I wanted to go to see the camels. You see, I have a fondness for these fine animals. (See, she's picking her teeth with a bit of hay...)

 "But what?" you ask, "do camels have to do with Texas history?" It's all about the U. S. Camel Corp, an experiment to see if camels could be used in the exploration of the American South West. Between 1856 and 1857, 75 camels were brought over from the Middle East, mostly Turkey and Egypt. Once they arrived on the Texas coast the camels were brought to a small army outpost called Camp Verde. (I was scratching her neck.)

Although the "experiment" was short-lived -- with the start of the Civil War the camels and fort were surrendered to the Confederate army and after the war the railroads were coming into their own -- the camels DID prove useful. They delivered mail and carried supplies between San Antonio and parts west. They helped explore and map Great Bend. They forged a middle passage across the South West to California which is now Route 66 and Interstate 40 and they explored the Mojave Desert. 
(Yes, you have every right to be proud of your ancestors.) 

In 2008, 150 years later, the camels returned to Camp Verde. 

Camels in front of the 150 year-old Camp Verde General Store. 
We have camels in Texas, thanks to Doug Baum and the Texas Camel Corp.

 ***



A Win!
If you haven't subscribed to C. Lee McKenzie's newsletter, you're missing out. Only those who sign up are eligible for special offerings, like BOOKS! Why just last week she pulled my name out of the hat and I won the ARC of The Secret Files of Fairday Morrow by Jessica Haight and Stephanie Robeinson. You can visit their blog, HERE.

About The Secret Files:
Fear Not the Unexpected.  
Eleven-year-old Fairday Morrow is less than thrilled that her family is moving thousands of miles from civilization to the quiet country town of Ashpot, Connecticut, where she’s absolutely certain she’ll die of boredom. 
As if leaving New York City and her best friend, Lizzy, the only other member of the elite Detective Mystery Squad (DMS), weren’t bad enough, Fairday is stuck living in the infamous Begonia House, a creepy old Victorian with dark passageways, a gigantic dead willow tree, and a mysterious past. 
         Before she can even unpack, strange music coming from behind a padlocked door leads Fairday up a spiral staircase and into a secret room, where an ancient mirror, a brass key, and a strange picture of a red-haired lady are the first in a series of clues that takes the members of the Detective Mystery Squad on an amazing adventure.
***

Being Thankful

Today I'm thankful for competent and friendly hospital staff. 'Nough said! :)

***

What are you thankful for? Ever gotten up close and personal with a camel? Did you know about the part camels played in the opening up of the desert South West? Have you read The Secret Files of Fairday Morrow?

32 comments:

  1. Glad you're feeling better after your hospital stay. So sorry it happened on your anniversary. Loved your pictures and learning about the camels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camels crack me up! So glad you are feeling better, and I hope you have had a belated anniversary celebration someplace special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't they have the most snobby and know-it-all of looks? The thing is, they're designed that way, to keep the sand out of their noses and eyes.

      Delete
  3. Sorry you ended up in the hospital! What a bummer.
    I didn't know the history of camels here in our country. Makes sense they'd be good for the dry, desert areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was bummer, but as I tell myself, it could have been much worse! So taking the long view, I'm grateful. I'm glad to have educated you on a small bit of American history, Alex.

      Delete
  4. Oh no! What a horrible way to spend your anniversary. So happy you are doing better.

    I would love to pet a camel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my second time to get to pet a camel, Diane. They are way cool. :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Bish - so sorry to read of the different journey you had for your anniversary ... but am so glad you're better. I too didn't know about the history of camels in the States - they are incredible animals ...

    This film about camels in Australia .. is extraordinary .. and as you are so interested in them - I highly recommend at watch: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracks_(2013_film)

    Recover properly and then go for that anniversary dinner, a wee late - but still there to be had - enjoy .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when Robyn made that trek across Australia, she was featured in National Geographic. I'll definitely check out the movie.

      I'm recovering nicely, thanks!

      Delete
  6. Aren't they though? They have such a look of personality, or like they know something we don't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fascinating bit of history! I learned something :) Though I've never been particularly fond of camels (the whole spitting thing...), they are interesting creatures. I'm glad you're feeling better and congrats on the win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to educate! And actually, camels are nearly as prone to spitting as llamas. :)

      Delete
  8. So glad you're up and at 'em again, Bish. Sorry about the hospital stay, but happy that you had the care you needed. And those camels are amazing! I've never ridden one, but it's a goal.

    You got the book, I see! I know you'll love it. They've written a charming MG story. Right up your alley. Thanks for the mention. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to ride a camel too. Someday I'm gonna make it happen! Yes, got the book and am already reading it. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. I had no idea about camels in the SW. Interesting. Sorry to hear you were sick enough to be hospitalized. That's a bummer at any time. Glad you're on the mend and back with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to be able to pass on the history of the camels. EVERYone should know about them!

      Delete
  10. Yikes! Hope you ARE better! Geez woman! Camels huh? I rode one as a kid. Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes. What an unfun way to spend your 30th. Glad you're doing better.

    I think Disney made a movie about the military's attempt to use camels. Yep. Went to check. lol http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074614/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Looks like it's a comedy. Not sure how I feel about them "rewriting" history and making fun of the camels... :)

      Delete
  12. Happy Anniversary! I'm sorry you were sick :( I'm glad you're feeling better now! That festival looks fun. What a great event to get out and about again!

    Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It WAS a fun festival and I was/am very happy to have been able to walk around and enjoy it.

      Delete
  13. Oh Bish, I’m so sorry to hear you’ve been unwell but happy to see you back blogging again.
    I just love that first image – I had no idea camels had so much character. She looks so laid back!

    In answer to your questions – I’m thankful for the autumn sunshine and blue sky and will be going out to enjoy it after leaving this comment.
    I had no idea about the camels, thank you for enlightening me.
    I’ve not read the Secret Files of Fairday Morrow, although I do visit their blog every week. Hugs Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara. We're beginning to feel the touch of fall here. It was 59F (15C)this morning!

      Delete
  14. Hi Bish, I'm sorry to hear you weren't feeling well previously. Glad things are better now! I haven't paid a lot of attention to camels but recently another author friend wrote a non-fiction middle grade book about camels being very useful in the West during the mid-1800s. I have an ARC of THE SECRET FILES and am looking forward to reading it by end of November (just in time for Jess and Stephanie's grand release)!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh! I'm so sorry about your hospital anniversary event. Here, let me dump a whole plate of cheese to make it better! (But I love your attitude about it.)

    I'm thankful for an amazing hubby who sacrificed sleep until 3 AM so I could get in a good night--while had to be out the door at 5 AM. Now that's true love, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do hope you feel better soon! I mean really good!
    Thanks for sharing your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing all these lovely photos. I took a virtual tour with you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bish! I'm so sorry you had to go into the hospital and so glad you are doing better. I rarely travel around the blog world these days and miss important things like this. Please take good care of yourself. One thing I'm thankful for is meeting someone like you through blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bish- I am so glad you are feeling better, but sorry to hear you had to spend your anniversary in the hospital. I learned a lot about camels here- I had no idea about their history in Texas (or really anywhere else for that matter).

    Stephanie and I are SO excited that you won an ARC of The Secret Files of Fairday Morrow from Lee's blog. We hope you enjoy it!

    Have a great weekend-
    ~Jess :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had no idea camels were in Texas. Congrats on winning the book. I can't wait to get my own pre-ordered copy. I'm sorry about your hospital visit and I'm glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!