Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Friday, July 31, 2009

Random Thoughts Friday

Anya Seton. I thoroughly enjoy a good historical novel. There were three historical books I read as kid that got me interested in reading others. One was a book called TREASURE IN THE LITTLE TRUNK, about a pioneer family. Another was a biography of Mozart and the third was called THE SLAVE WHO FREED HAITI: The Story of Toussaint Louverture. As I got older I read books like THE SILVER CHALICE and THE ROBE. But Anya Seton was always my favorite. She was known for her well researched novels. She was born in 1904 in New York City and died in 1990. Because I could find so few quotes from her I give you a short synopsis of some of my favorite books by her.

AVALON is set in England in 1000 AD. There is the violence of Viking raiders, love, and exploration across the ocean to unknown lands in the west.

MY THEODOSIA is about Aaron Burr's daughter.

In THE MISTLETOE AND THE SWORD a young Roman falls in love with a Briton, the foster daughter of a Warrior Queen.

Lastly, KATHERINE, probably Seton's most famous work, is about Katherine Swynford who eventually married John of Gaunt and became the mother of both the Tutor and Stuart lines.

"It is seldom in life that one knows that a coming event is to be of crucial importance."

"The soul... may have many symbols with which it reaches toward God."

"There are many trails up the mountain, but in time they all reach the top."

"Truth is naturally universal...and shines into many different windows, though many are clouded."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!