Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Wednesday, November 4, 2020

IWSG, Being Thankful.

Posting the First Wednesday of every month, the Insecure Writer's Support Group, is the brainchild of Alex Cavanaugh. YOU can sign up HERE to participate.

Every month a question will be posed that may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Remember, the question is optional. You can write about anything that relates to your writing journey.

Let's give a warm welcome to our co-hosts: Jemi Fraser, Kim Lajevardi, L.G Keltner, Tyrean Martinson, and Rachna Chhabria!

This month's question is: Albert Camus once said, “The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself.” Flannery O’Conner said, “I write to discover what I know.” Authors across time and distance have had many reasons to write. Why do you write what you write.

I have no idea why I write what I write. I know that I started out writing high fantasy, which went nowhere, because I wanted it to be like Tolkien. Then I tried to write like John Steinbeck, which also went nowhere. Then I kind of wanted to be deep and meaningful in the way that Kahlil Gibran is. That, obviously, didn't work either. Finally I took the writing courses through The Institute of Children's Literature and, at least, found my own voice. 

I guess I write what I write because you can take the girl out of the island but you can't take the island out of the girl. It goes back to writing what you know. And what I know is what it was like to be raised on an island in the Caribbean. 

But wait! That doesn't explain this other crazy novel of mine that takes place in Tibet in the 1950s. Go figure.

Being Thankful
Today I'm thankful for not having much to say.
I am reminded of the KISS principal:
Keep It Simple Stupid.

What are you thankful for? To you know why you write what you write? Are you surviving these turbulent times? 

13 comments:

  1. That's great that you found your voice. It can be one of the hardest things to get right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful the sun comes up earlier, for my family around me, for the words that still filter through me, and for kind people like you, Bish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finding your own voice and your own niche is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spent years writing and learning while trying to find my voice and my niche. It's been a fun journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly chose some stellar writers/thinkers to imitate. However, I'm pleased you didn't pull off that imitation because your voice is much better coming through your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the KISS Principle. Yet I excel in making things the most difficult they can be. I'm my own oxymoron.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's great that you were able to find your voice. I think sometimes our story ideas can surprise us, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Bish! I love that you found your voice and use it. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We write what spirits us away to. (Sorry) :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Bish - I'm glad I never wanted to be a writer ... I just had to adjust to the blogging world - where I managed to find my voice quite quickly ... I might have given up otherwise - but I'm so pleased I didn't. It's the passion to write and to write what we know ... your stories are great ... I'd love to visit your Island. Take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Finding your own voice is a major achievement! Here's to a beautiful Christmas and some lovely writing about your early island days.

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!