Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Monday, July 27, 2015

Alternatives, Abstractions, and Being Thankful

Alternatives is a recurring post in which I give synonyms for an over used word. Click on the tab above for a "complete" list of over used words.

Today's word is:

ImageChef.com - Get codes for Facebook, Hi5, MySpace and more


I can't say that active/actively is one of my over used words, but I can see how that wave is active... erasing the words over and over again.

Depending on how you use it, this list may come in handy for finding another way to say the same thing.


agile, agog, airy, alert, alive, angrily animate/animated/animatedly, assiduous/assiduously, astir, at work, awake

boisterous/boisterously, bouncing, bright, brisk/briskly, brutally, bubbly, buoyant, bustling, busy

cheerful, chipper, chirpy, chirrupy, committed, cruelly

dapper, dashing, devoted, diligent/diligently, dynamic/dynamically

eager/eagerly, earnestly, ebullient, effective/effectual, effervescent, efficacious, employable/employed, energetic/energetically, engaged, enterprising/enterprisingly, enthusiastic, exuberant

ferociously, fiercely, flourishing, flowing, forcibly, frantically, frisky, frolicsome, functional/functioning, furiously

gay, going,

hard-working, hasty, heavily, high-spirited, high-strung, hopping, humming

impelling, impish, in action, in force, in operation, in play, in process, indefatigably, industrious/industriously, intensely, involved

jaunty, jazzy

keen/keenly, kinetic

laborious/laboriously, like fury, live/lively/living

maddeningly/madly, meanly, mettlesome, mobile, movable/moving

nervous, nimble

occupied, on, open-eyed, operable/operating/operational/operative

painfully, peppy, performing, perky, pert, pixieish, pizzazzy, playful, powerfully, producing/productive, progressive, pushing

racy, rapid, relentlessly, restless, rigorously, roaring, rolling, roughly, rowdily, running, rustling

savagely, sedulous, seriously, serving, severely, sharply, shifting, simmering, skittish, snappy, spanking, sparkly/sparky, speeding/speedy, spiffy, spirited/spiritedly, sporty, sprightly, springingly, spry, steaming, stormily, strongly, swarming

thriving, tied-up, tireless/tirelessly, traveling, tumultuously, turbulently, turning
up, upbeat, uproariously, urgently, usable/useful

viable, viciously, vigorous/vigorously, vital, vivacious/vivaciously

walking, wide-awake, wildly, workable/working

yielding


zealous, zippy

Seeing as how both the GOING and MOBILE are in this list I just HAD to include this song. 

***

An abstraction is a concept that acts as a super-categorical noun for all subordinate concepts, and connects any related concepts as a group, field, or category. (Clear?) An abstraction is a word like love, hate, joy, beauty, cunning, disgust. In this game we turn them into a kind of poetry or a piece of flash fiction.

The rules are simple. You can change them around.
 1: Abstraction plus verb plus place
 2: Describe what the abstraction is wearing
 3: Summarize the action

Today's ABSTRACTION is:

Loneliness, conceived in our brains,
hides behind the mask of longing
and refuses to show its true emptiness.




***
Being Thankful
Today I'm thankful for beaches. 
It's summer! Come join me for a seabath!

Caneel Bay, St. John

Hawksnest, St. John

 Big Maho, St. John

Reef Bay, St. John

And Trunk Bay, St. John, one of the ten most beautiful and most photographed beaches in the world.
It used to belong to my family, it's where I learned to swim. Now it belongs to everyone.
What are you thankful for? Care to try your hand at an Abstraction and leave it in the comments? Got a favorite alternative for active/actively? Is it even a word you over use?

21 comments:

  1. Oh, I wish I could really join you there. The pictures are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could join you there as well!
    Kinetic - I like that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we can all meet at the beach one day. I agree, kinetic is good. Kind of seems related to frenetic. :)

      Delete
  3. I love that song and haven't heard it for a while. I didn't know it was by The Who.

    I love going to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know the song was about having a travel trailer and hitting the road?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agog is a word I've wanted to use and never have found a place for. Perhaps one day! Thanks for the beach tour. I'm so in love with beaches, and yours are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agog IS a good one. I'm agog that you've never been able to find a place to use it! :)

      Delete
  6. I love the airy clouds rolling lazily across the skyline of St John's bay. Everything looks so snappy and spry, cheerfully bouncing across the sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, those great towering cumulus clouds can be quite mesmerizing.

      Delete
  7. Your family owned that beach? That's really neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We, did Diane. My grandparents, who lived in Puerto Rico, bought it in 1927 and built a summer home there. The family stayed there every summer. After WWII my grandmother ran a guest house there until it was sold to L. Rockefeller and donated to the National Park.

      Delete
  8. Love your pictures. So gorgeous. After the last couple of weeks, I'm ready for some beach time! That pic with the girl and the guitar is fun too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, It's hard to take a bad picture in the Virgin Islands! :)

      Delete
  9. Hello Bish, How about get-up-and-go or full of vim and vigour – I’ve always been confused about synonyms, but I think these fit the bill?
    Love the beach photos thanks for sharing them. You must tell us more about your family owning the beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are excellent synonyms, Barbara! Thanks.

      Delete
  10. Great song choice. Love the song.
    I love the beach pictures, especially the last one. I want to be there.

    Here is my abstraction. Which clearly should be longer to tell the whole story.

    Embarrassed, red-faced, stood in queue,
    His naked bum on show for all to view.
    Twas pantsed and revealed a panda tattoo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful pictures! Definitely a good reminder of something to be thankful for. I love the beach and haven't been yet all summer. Must change that! :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm thankful for sleep, mostly because I haven't been getting much. It's funny how a little deprivation can make you so grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to admit those abstractions confuse the heck out oe me. BUT, the beach I understand. I miss the beaches of STX and the warm Caribbean, but Lake Tahoe has beautiful beaches of it's own and the water here is so clear. I have been enjoying kayaking this summer and getting out on the water as well as into it, every chance I get. Thanks for the beautiful pictures of St. John.

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!