Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

S is for...

Click HERE for a list of all
the participants!
For this, my 5th year doing the Challenge, it's the
A to Z of Anansi the spider.

S is for Song (and Dance)

Anansi likes music. He  sings, plays a fiddle, and dances.

I can make the assumption that he likes music because it came with him from Africa and that it evolved, over time, to reflect the various islands where his stories were told.

In the Virgin Islands, Quelbe (pronounced quail-bay), is the official music. The bands are also called scratch bands. The traditional dance is the quadrille. It is a dance where the steps are called out, similar to square dancing. I can see Anansi taking part.

Here's a video of quadrille dancers, in traditional costumes, preforming during Carnival in St. Thomas, 2012. Just watching a minute or two will give you an idea of the flavor of this traditional music and dance.


And here's a Quelbe Festival that took place on St. Croix in 2012.

19 comments:

  1. You sure know how to delight your readers early in the morning. It's still early morning DARK but I want to get up and dance. Love the music and the costumes....More, more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet when Anansi dances, he's all legs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those costumes are amazing. Colorful and festive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Stanley and the Ten Sleepless Knights. For three years this was the soundtrack of my life. I miss it terribly. I do think once you have lived in de islands your soul is always trying to get back.

    It snowed here last night. I really needed this on this early morning. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So enjoyed seeing and hearing this music and dance! I'd like to go to St. Croix someday... My sister went there for their honeymoon and loved it! Thanks for dropping by my blog and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the music and the dancing. Anansi had to do both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much exuberance in their music. The dancers were smiling. I would imagine Anansi would be as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely! I can see the similaritiy between folk dances of African origin that are a part of the culture of Puerto Rico and those of the Virgin Islands. The joy and color are heartwarming. Thank you for sharing. Your cousin in San Juan, PR

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing your culture. I am learning so much this blog hop and can't wait to visit to put my knowledge to good use.

    http://katloveswriting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sure Anansi must be quite a good dancer, with all his legs moving in all directions ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A Spider quadrille dancing. I would love to see that :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh! I love square dancing. Admittedly I've never danced that dance, but I'd love to try it out.

    True Heroes from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I love the quadrille! The music is so catchy. Great videos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun!
    I like song and dance, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the music and the dancing! So delightful - cheerful with great rhythms. Thanks for the vids!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks awesome! I love that style of music.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved the dance and the music was amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!