Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Changes for Thursday

Like a cairn, nothing stays the same. How boring it would be if it did. Lucky for us cairns fall apart leaving behind the rocks with which to build a new one. It will never be like the one that came before. And, it will be different to all that come after.

































I'm building a new Thursday cairn. I thought about how I could relate it more to writing, but at this point I feel anything I might add would be superfluous as there are already many of you out there doing a wonderful job covering the topic. Not to mention the fact that I don't feel all that knowledgeable or confident.

What, I wondered, could I possibly contribute?

And then it came to me. What do I really love? I love words. So, I have come up with a grab-bag of subjects that, for the most part, relate to these lettered creatures without which we would have nothing to say.

On any given Thursday one of the following topic titles may show up.

Word Play: In which I take two seemingly unrelated words and challenge you to figure out the word or words I'm actually looking for. As in: earthy pig. What word might replace an earthy pig? The answer will be posted the following Monday. So, you'll have to come back Monday to find out what an earthy pig is.
Alternatives: The page on my blog that gets the most hits is Over Used Words. This topic will provide alternatives to, what else? over used words.
Origins: Here I will give the history and origin of interesting words and phrases.
Abstractions: In which I will take an abstraction, add a verb and place, describe what it's wearing and summarize the action. As in: Anger roared across the rooftop in a tattered tux then leapt off the edge in despair. I'll then challenge you to write your own abstraction using the chosen word.
Titles: In which I'll pick a word, any word, and make up titles. Then I'll challenge you to make up a few of your own. As in CLOUD: The Amber Cloud, Cloud City, Clouds of the Eye, If Clouds Were Pillows. Then maybe we can each pick a title and write a 100 word drabble or other bit of flash fiction.
Definitions: When I run across an interesting word I don't know I'll give the definition (and origin too.) I'll use it in a sentence and ask you to do the same.
Random Thought Thursday will continue to be dedicated to a random quote from some well known person, or not.
Six Impossible Things: In which I will think of six impossible things before breakfast and ask for your contribution.

Does this sound amenable to you? Can you think of any other wordy type things that would be of interest?

Mondays, by the way, will continue to be dedicated to vignettes of growing up in the Virgin Islands, current stuff going on in my life that I feel like sharing, and other random acts of writing.

16 comments:

  1. Bish I'm going to miss your Thursday quotes! But the new "word cairn" sounds like fun! :)

    Judy, South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like we've got some interesting stuff coming up, I look forward to it.

    And you're going to tell us what an earthy pig is, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think random is good. And I like your Virgin Island Vignettes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to what you have for us on upcoming Thursdays, Bish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'll suck at the games, but it looks like fun! I love how you take what's important to you and make it interesting for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you've bitten off a chunk of work but it looks like it will be fun for all of us. I'll look forward to your words in all their glory.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these! You've got some great topic ideas here, Bish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like all your new topics. I'm looking forward to what you have in store, Bish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love words, so am looking forward to this! :)

    Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that photo! And those wordy things sound terrific. Change is indeed a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These topics sound fantastic. I look forward to what you have in store for us. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds great, Bish - esp the abstractions and title challenges!

    And thank you for continuing to give me a reason to love Mondays. I really enjoy hearing tales of your family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like fun. Great word "games." How did you come up with all of them?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Suzanne, the ideas came from all over. Some are old, some are new.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting, Bish! I'm looking forward to checking in on Thursdays (or thereabouts).

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!