Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Wednesday, December 7, 2022

IWSG, A New Direction, Being Thankful



Posting the First Wednesday of every month, the Insecure Writer's Support Group, is the brainchild of Alex CavanaughYOU can sign up HERE to participate.

Every month a question is posed that may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience, or a story. The question is optional. You can write about anything that relates to your writing journey. In fact, you can write about anything at all.

Let's give a warm welcome to our co-hosts:  Joylene Nowell Butler, Chemist Ken, Natalie Aguirre, Nancy Gideon, and Cathrina Constantine!

This month's question is: It's holiday time! Are the holidays a time to catch up or fall behind on writer goals?

If you have a lot of family or friends, the holidays can be a difficult time for any creative person who requires time alone to do their thing. If you don't have the warm distraction of people, well then, the holidays can be a lovely time to get some "work" done, or give your muse a rest, or brainstorm ideas. 

***
A New Direction

So, I've been getting a tiny bit of writing done playing around with Dribbles (50 word stories, two of which, so far, have been accepted by Vine Leaves Press) and this has led to the idea of changing my blog a bit. I really haven't put much effort into it for several years, so it's in need of a facelift. I've sort of been slithering along lazily not really saying anything or expressing myself. Playing with Dribbles has caused me, once again, to realize how very much I love words. I think I love words more than I love writing them into sentences. You see every word we use has it's own story. And this fascinates me. So, starting in January 2023, I will highlight a word (or two?) and tell it's story. That's only 12 (or a few more?) words a year if I stick to posting once a month. 

I've also cleaned out and organized my collection of three-ring binders and spiral notebooks, which was quite an undertaking as some of the contents go back to the 1970s. One of the things I've discovered (aside from the goldmine of ideas and... words) is that over the course of my life, I've collected hundreds and hundred (maybe thousands and thousands) of inspirational quotes. They are written down all over the place and I am slowing transferring them into one notebook. (She laughs manically, aware of the delightful insanity of this endeavor.) My intention is to include a quote or two with each post.

If the post isn't too long, because my intention is to keep them short, maybe I'll write a Dribble or a thoughtful sentence or a poem using the word whose story I've told. Or maybe I'll use a quote that has the word in it.

That's my plan, anyway. We'll see how well I stick to it. :D

***
Being Thankful

Today I'm thankful for the dribbles of inspirations that have been coming to me. 


Cypress on the River

Along the banks
the towering cypress
                          stretch their branches
                                               toward the sky
                          sink their roots
                                          into
                                               the 
                                                    river bed.
Their small, slender needles
are starting to turn from
                         green to
                                   yellow to
                                               rust to
                                                      brown.
The needles will carpet
                            the paths 
                            and float
                            in mats on the water.
Their fragrance will fill the air.
Fall is quietly approaching,
almost as if trying to
not be seen.
It is playing hide and seek,
a fairy flitting in and out among
the leaves.
                          Teasing. 
(Winter isn't really coming.)

But I have eyes
and will not be fooled.
          



What are you thankful for? Do the holidays hinder or help in your creative endeavors? Are you ready for 2023?

MERRY CHRISTMASHAPPY HOLIDAYS, 
AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!
SEE YOU IN JANUARY.

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love "your" words, Dish. They definitely make me feel creative. Thanks for all your wonderful ecards too. They adorable. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like some great plans. I'm a word nut so your posts will be delightful, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being in love with words is a perfect writerly condition! Merry Christmas, Bish and my very best to you for 2022.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your publications! It sounds like you've got a great plan. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was nice!
    A word a month is a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was so good! You have a talent. Congrats on all the organizing. I did a little but not nearly as much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, yes we should be grateful to our Dribbles of inspiration as they go a long way in getting us closer to our writing goals. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dribbles sound fun. I also need to go through some binders and that doesn't sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bish - dribbles are fun ... but the idea for your posts next year sounds really interesting ... I'll enjoy them. All the best and enjoy the season ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those pictures and the poem are lovely! I like that you're going to be working on things that bring you pleasure. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful poem! Wow, the binder sorting sound like a big endeavor but a fun one too.

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!