Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Wednesday, February 2, 2022

IWSG, Mom, News

Posting the First Wednesday of every month, the Insecure Writer's Support Group, is the brainchild of Alex Cavanaugh. YOU can sign up HERE to participate.

Every month a question will be posed that may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Remember, the question is optional. You can write about anything that relates to your writing journey.

Let's give a warm welcome to our co-hosts:  Joylene Nowell Butler, Jacqui Murray, Sandra Cox, and Lee Lowery!

This month's question is: Is there someone who supported or influenced you that perhaps isn't around anymore? Anyone you miss?

                                                   2/2/22 
                                    Is this an auspicious day or what?

My sister, Erva, Mom and me,
about the time I wrote my "essay."

Me and Mom.
I was about five
.
Wow. This couldn't be a better question for me right now. Yes, the one person who encouraged, supported, and influenced me and who isn't around anymore, is my mother. Not only did she teach me to read, she homeschooled me for several years and during that time (without knowing the name for the "problem") figured out I wasn't learning things the way my sister did. I'm dyslexic. Because of her patience she figured out that I am an audio/tactile learner. I have never done well with numbers and math. I can fairly easily learn the steps for doing problems but can flip numbers in the middle of the solution and thus get a wrong answer. And, even though I have never been a great speller, my mother saw/recognized that I loved to read (even though I read slowly) and that I could comprehend things beyond my years. (I read Call of the Wild when I was around ten or eleven.) She was also the one who saw that I might have a talent for writing when, at the age of eight, I wrote a three page essay about our family. It is from that essay that my sister, Erva, and I were forever referred to as the grils.

As an adult Mom was once astute and aware enough to notice that I seemed to be "stuck." She gave me the book, The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. On the flyleaf she wrote, "For Bish, Follow the way, Love Mom." In most everything I have had published, there is a secret three word phrase I use to honor her. Can you guess what that phrase might be?

She lived a long and wonderful 93 years and though she's been gone from this plane of existence for ten years, I still miss her and long to hear her voice, her laughter, and long to feel her hugs. She didn't get to see any of my published books and stories, but she's there, lurking in the pages, peeking out from behind the words and I know she is smiling.
***
And now some news. You know how things change, right? I'm not at liberty just yet to fully explain, but it has to do with health (not my own, I'm fine) and I'm going to be pre-occupied. Because of that, I'm not sure when I'll be posting again. Who knows I might show up next month, but then again it might be several months before you read my glittering words again.

And so, on that note, I bid you adieu for now. 

Take care, everyone. Be safe. Be thankful.

Today I'm thankful for this day. What are you thankful for?

26 comments:

  1. I attempted my first book (ten years later I'm now re-writing it) after going through The Artist's Way. Keep following the way, Bish, and hope whatever you face resolves itself in a positive manner. Best to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Artist's Way was so helpful. Those morning pages work, but what the heck do you do with all that mind vomit? :D

      Delete
  2. Hi Bish - all the best to you as you cope with things that by necessity require your help. Lovely remembrances about your mother and her guidance through life - how lucky you were. Take care and with thoughts - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful how your mom supported you in your life and helped you with your challenges. Sorry to hear you might be gone for awhile, but I'm glad you're helping someone you love with their health challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely tribute to your mom.
    We'll leave the light on for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful tribute to your mother. She sounds like an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. She was an inspiration because she encouraged whatever I was interested it. Mapmaking? Here's a book on mapmaking. Archeology? Here are some books on archeology. Wolf-dog stories? Here are novels about wolf-dogs. On and on and on.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful mother. She went beyond what was normal. I didn't know her and I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect if she hadn't homeschooled me in those early years that "regular" school would have been a mighty struggle. It was difficult enough as it was, but at least she did the major hacking away of thorn bushes to make my path a little easier.

      Delete
    2. Missed you today, Bish. Happy Wednesday.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely tribute to your mother. She reads it. Your mother sounds like everything we want from a mother.

    I'll be pondering how things are going the next few months, Bish. Hope all is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister and I thought for many years that we came from a normal family. It wasn't until adulthood that we realized we grew up in the family everyone wishes they had.

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful mother you had, and her success is quite evident. Her daughter shines.

    Whatever you're dealing with, Bish I know you'll manage it well. My thoughts will be with you and I look forward to your return to us. Big cyber hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe everything will be okay, Lee. Thanks for hugs.

      Delete
  9. I'd never know you had learning issues, especially after reading your books. That was wonderful your mother helped you through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing about dyslexia. I've known many people with it and have come to realize it shows up in various ways and various degrees of severity. I just recently discovered someone I know who has almost the exact same issues as I do and it was like meeting a long lost twin. He went on to be a molecular biologist specializing in fungi, has a doctorate, and taught college for years.

      Delete
  10. I switch numbers the same as you, but with me it's only numbers. Your mom was wonderful. I'm happy you had her in your life for so long. Mine passed on many, many years ago. I, too, am thankful for this day. See you when we see you. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you read numbers do you say them out loud (under your breath)as you write them down so that you have a chance to catch a mistake? It's sometimes frustrating to try explain it to people who have no problem. They'll rattle off a phone number and be finished before I've gotten the first 3 numbers and I'll have to ask them to slow down and repeat.

      Delete
  11. Great story about your mom. I feel honored to have met her through your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mother had tremendous insight into your challenges, Bish. How wonderful that you had her support and encouragement! My father, who was brilliant, dealt with dyslexia, as have others in my extended family. A good teacher, and your mother was, focuses on your strengths and gives you strategies to help you overcome challenges. You have done her proud! My mother has been gone almost 21 years. What wouldn't I give to have a hug from her and hear her call me "Weesie." I look forward to your return!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sending positive vibes to you and whomever you're helping through this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Even if you are not able to connect with other writers and blog for now, I hope that you are continuing to write, even if only for yourself, and that each day brings you healing, peace, and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Bish, I loved reading about your wonderful mom. I'm sure she is friends with my mom in heaven. I miss mine too even though it's been well over 30 yrs since she went to the Lord. Thank you for the card at a time when you could use one yourself. Sending you virtual hugs and real prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!