Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Wednesday, October 6, 2021

IWSG, Being Thankful, Get Together

Posting the First Wednesday of every month, the Insecure Writer's Support Group, is the brainchild of Alex Cavanaugh. YOU can sign up HERE to participate.

Every month a question will be posed that may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Remember, the question is optional. You can write about anything that relates to your writing journey.

Let's give a warm welcome to our co-hosts:  Jemima Pett, J Lenni Dorner, Cathrina Constantine, Ronel Janse van Vuuren, and Mary Aalgaard!

This month's question is: In your writing, where do you draw the line, with either topics or language?

This one's easy. For me it's graphic sex, language, violence. Since I mostly write for children and teens I don't see the need to perpetuate the negatives of life. I'm more about passing on a little wonder and magic. Call me old-fashioned, or a hippy, but I'm more about peace and love. Particularly in this day and age, it seems, it's what the world needs more of.  I'll leave the those other topics, and the language that goes with them, to other writers.

On that note I leave you with this song, written in1964 by Dino Valenti who was in the band Quicksilver Messenger Service. It was first recorded by the Kingston Trio that same year. The Youngbloods didn't recorded it until 1966 and released in July of 1967. The summer of '67, was momentous for me, and this is one of the many songs from that time that had an impact on my 17 year-old brain. It not only has a beautiful melody, the words are pure poetry. 

57 years after being written (FIFTY-SEVEN YEARS!!) it is still relevant, still beautiful, and still has meaning.

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another 
Right now

Love is but a song to sing Fear's the way we die You can make the mountains ring Or make the angels cry Though the bird is on the wing And you may not know why Come on people now Smile on your brother Everybody get together Try to love one another Right now Some may come and some may go We shall surely pass When the one that left us here Returns for us at last We are but a moment's sunlight Fading in the grass Come on people now Smile on your brother Everybody get together Try to love one another Right now Come on people now Smile on your brother Everybody get together Try to love one another Right now Come on people now Smile on your brother Everybody get together Try to love one another Right now If you hear the song I sing You will understand (listen!) You hold the key to love and fear All in your trembling hand Just one key unlocks them both It's there at you command Come on people now Smile on your brother Everybody get together Try to love one another Right now Come on people now Smile on your brother Everybody get together Try to love one another Right now Come on people now Smile on your brother Everybody get together Try to love one another Right now

Being Thankful
Today I'm thankful that we've had more rain. Fall is coming. There are morning hints in the coolness of the air and there is the ever so slight fading of green in the leaves.

What are you thankful for? In your writing, is there a line you won't cross? Are there any songs from your childhood/youth that had an impact on you?

24 comments:

  1. Hi, sex and violence is a big no no for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are a lot of out here who feel the same.

      Delete
  2. I so agree with your answer to this month's question. And thanks for the song this morning. A great way to wake up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great song! No point in focusing on the negative in life.

    Ronel visiting for IWSG day as co-host The IWSG Goodreads Book Club

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's probably been well over 40 years since Coca Cola first used that song in a commercial. It was a huge success right from the get-go. I was a teenager, I think, and me and all my friends sang it for a month. Great song! I wish I could remember the date. It's been used several times since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look it up. It was a Pepsi commercial from 1995! I'd never seen it. It was cute, except for the ending...

      Delete
  5. Hi Bish - definitely agree with your answer - as too that brilliant song - still so appropriate today ... thanks for the reminder of it. Cheers - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that song needs to be part of the American Song Book, a standard.

      Delete
  6. I love that song. I got a new job on Monday. I hope I can go into it with love and positive feelings after a bad experience at my last job. Playing this song on the way to work will help me.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your new job is a good match for you and I hope the song made it even better than you hoped!

      Delete
  7. I love that song too. And I'm careful with my language because I write for MG and YA too. I'm grateful for a lot of really good changes coming together in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo, good changes, I like that. Wishing you all the best!

      Delete
  8. Since I write adult books, I don't have to babysit language and situations. I do have lines, but I'm pretty much middle of the road. I'm thankful for all the mornings I've woken up ♥ And so much more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say you are not graphic, like some books I've read. I'd say you are quite appropriately adult without going into the sewer.

      Delete
  9. I was just a kid when this song came out, but I remember it well. And you right... it is beautiful and does have meaning for today ... if only everyone would OPEN THEIR EARS and HEARTS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Michael. I do wish people would open their ears and hearts.

      Delete
  10. I love that song! Remember it well. I don't want to give my readers sadness and despair. I want them to be happy inside and maybe smile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that you are focusing on the lighter things and want to give kids magic and wonder. That's so needed right now!
    I'm thankful for fall too, for my dear family, good friends (especially my writing buddy), and a job I love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a classic and perfect song for these times...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing wrong with wanting to spread some wonder and magic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your kid's books have so much magic to them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fall is coming here too! Can't wait for 80-90 degree weather to pass.

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!