Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Wednesday, February 3, 2021

IWSG, Black History Month, Being Thankful

Posting the First Wednesday of every month, the Insecure Writer's Support Group, is the brainchild of Alex Cavanaugh. YOU can sign up HERE to participate.

Every month a question will be posed that may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Remember, the question is optional. You can write about anything that relates to your writing journey.

Let's give a warm welcome to our co-hosts:  Louise - Fundy Blue, Jennifer Lane, Mary Aalgaard, Patsy Collins at Womagwriter, and Nancy Gideon!

This month's question is: Blogging is often more than just sharing stories. It’s often the start of special friendships and relationships. Have you made any friends through the blogosphere?

Okay, I am totally indebted to many, many people, all of whom I have met through blogging and I would like to think that I've made a few friends. I have been blogging long enough that some of those friends have died or I've seen how lives changed when a family member died.

All that said, I've been terribly flakey for the past year. I don't think I've been the friend to many who have been such wonderful friends to me. I have become a lazy, procrastinating, do-nothing who doesn't even get around to leaving comments on the blogs of those who leave comments here! 

I've really been quite bad about it, and I apologize. I keep telling myself I'll do better next time, but I just can't seem to shake myself out of this rut of my own creation.

Do not feel sorry me. I have only myself to blame.
***
In honor of Black History Month, here are a few Virgin Islanders who have been on the world stage.

First and foremost is:
Marcella Nunez-Smith, MD, member of President Biden's COVID task force
Not only was she born and raised on St. Thomas, she graduated from my tiny high school, All Saints Cathedral School. We - all Virgin Islanders and those from my alma mater - couldn't be prouder.



Terence Todman, (1926-2014)  U. S. Ambassador, had quite a distinguished career. Born in St. Thomas, he served in the military in Japan between 1945-49. His ambassadorships were diverse.
Terence Todman and Ronald Reagan
Chad: 1969-72
Guinea: 1972-75
Costa Rica: 1975-77
Spain: 1978-83
Denmark: 1983-89
Argentina: 1989-93

Barbara Christian was born on St. Thomas in 1942 and died in 2000. She was a professor of African-American studies at the University of California at Berkeley and the first African-American to be granted tenure at the university.  She was a pioneer in contemporary American literary feminism.


John Lucien was born on Tortola in the BVI in 1942 but was raised on St. Thomas. He not only had a beautiful voice but was a most excellent jazz bass player. This is someone I knew personally. Unfortunately he left us too soon in 2007.



Alton Adam
s was born on St. Thomas in 1889, before the islands were bought by the U. S. from Denmark. In 1917 he became the first black bandmaster in the United States Navy. He was also a composer and his music was performed by the likes of the John Philips Sousa's band.
AltonAdamsPortrait1922

There are so many others... 
Lt. Ronaqua Russell, the first black woman aviator in the Coast Guard to receive the Air Medal for her bravery in rescuing people during Hurricane Harvey.
Tim Duncan of baskeball fame.
Emile Griffith, boxing champion who was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame

Being Thankful
I'm thankful to all my blogging friends who have stuck with me even though I've been extremely flaky and unreliable.

What are you thankful for? Ever heard of any of these Virgin Islanders? Got any suggestions for getting out of this do-nothing slump?

25 comments:

  1. Don't be hard on yourself, Bish. This year has played games with all of us. We have to do the best we can and forgive ourselves for what we can't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's easy to let the world depress you into not wanting to do anything. Any effort is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes we all tend to get into a lazy rut now and then, we just have to jump out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at Terence next to Reagan!
    Just keep connecting here with us every month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, the IWSG is, at this point, the only thing keeping me connected.

      Delete
  5. Bish, the things you post on Facebook are always positive, motivational, inspiring, and hopeful. We don't know each other, but those words mean a lot to me. Just wanted you to know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I post them to help myself as much as try to spread some positive vibes. It's my writing that's suffering. No motivation...

      Delete
  6. In my experience it's often those who feel they should do more to be a better friend who do the most, and those who think they're a great friend who sometimes don't put in quite enough effort at times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bish, you are one of the kindest and genuine bloggers I know. Please give yourself a break. You are a gift to our community. Thank you for all those wonderful ecards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Now I have to allow myself to be lifted up by all these nice things you and everyone is saying.

      Delete
  8. I've stepped away from blogging and visiting blogs as much as I used to, and it has made me feel guilty, but I think we all understand that life happens and life changes.

    Great post for Black History Month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who feels guilty. Not that I want you to feel guilty, but it's nice to know I'm not alone in the place. Thank you.

      Delete
  9. It's okay that you haven't been as good about blogging this year. It's been a hard year. I know that I wasn't as enthusiastic about anything for a number of years after losing my husband. I've only been more committed to it this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do understand that things are cyclical and I really have nothing, like loosing a husband or a special loved-one, to use as an excuse for my laziness.

      Delete
  10. I haven't been good at much since all of this Covid shutdown business started, so we might need another support group, Bish. We could call it the I Want to be Good at Something Group. #IWGS

    Glad you paid tribute to notable Americans during Black History Month! See, you do good things. Give yourself some credit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that idea for IWGS! Giving myself credit for something has always been a bit difficult. I wonder why I (we) do that to ourselves?

      Delete
  11. I've heard of the Coastie, Lt. Ronaqua Russell.
    When it's time for you to do more, you will.
    Reread your Facebook posts. They always inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I post those things of FB to remind and inspire myself. A good swift kick in the butt might also be needed.

      Delete
  12. Don't be so hard on yourself, Bish! I think many of us go through ups and downs in the blogosphere. The wonderful thing is you can pick up with a blogging friend like you never stopped. Also this has been a tough year!!! Thanks for sharing these inspiring Virgin Islanders. I have seen Marcella Nunez-Smith on tv several times in recent weeks. She's amazing. Hugs to you, my Voyager buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Bish – how interesting to read about all of these stellar people - especially bearing in mind it’s Black History Month …
    Great you went to school with Marcella – you must look back with pride and interest on your lives … while the others too – so good to know about … and I loved John Lucien’s voice …
    So fascinating to read … and I’m reading much more for Black History Month – Steve McQueen: 12 Years A Slave … and his Small Axe series … I’ve got quite a few other publications from Black creatives … including from the Caribbean …
    Stay safe and all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely post, bish. And I get that about kind of fading away from the blogosphere. <3

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!