Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Wednesday, January 8, 2020

IWSG, Voyagers and Other News, Being Thankful

Posting the First Wednesday of every month, the Insecure Writer's Support Group, is the brainchild of Alex Cavanaugh. YOU can sign up HERE to participate.

Let's give a warm welcome to our co-hosts:  T. Powell Coltrin, Victoria Marie Lees, Stephen Tremp, Renee Scattergood, and J.H. Moncrieff!

This month's question is:  What started you on your writing journey? Was it a particular book, movie, story, or series? Was it a teacher/coach/spouse/friend/parent? Did you just "know" suddenly you wanted to write?


Happy New Year!
This is a longer post than I intended...

My writing journey began when I was eight years old. My mother was homeschooling me at the time with the Calvert Course, as it was called then. Now it's Calvert Education with over a 100 years of homeschooling experience. It was quite something. They shipped everything that would be needed for each grade in a big box: books, paper, pencils, teacher's manual, etc. EVERYthing.

Anyway, one assignment was that I write something about my family. I doubt my mother expected much, a page perhaps of misspelled words because I was then (not so bad now, though still not great) a most terrible speller due to dyslexia. But apparently I wrote three pages describing my family in great detail. It was in this treatise that I wrote about my sister and me as two grils. From then on we have often been affectionately referred to as "the grils." Even my husband has been known to use it.

My mother, impressed with my effort, became extremely supportive of my writing. Many years later, as an adult, I was going through a slump and somehow she knew. Out of the blue she sent me THE ARTIST'S WAY by Julia Cameron.

The book worked. It got me writing again. And now I'm going to reveal a little secret. Embedded in each my three self-published books - and in any book I may publish in the future - are those three words from her, "follow the way."


***
Big news for me. My story, "The Blind Ship," will be in the next Insecure Writer's Support Group Anthology!
 Journey into the past…


Ten authors explore the past, sending their young protagonists on harrowing adventures. Featuring the talents of Yvonne Ventresca, Katharina Gerlach, Roland Clarke, Sherry Ellis, Rebecca M. Douglass, Bish Denham, Charles Kowalski, Louise M. Barbour, Beth Anderson Schuck, and L.T. Ward.

Hand-picked by a panel of agents, authors, and editors, these ten tales will take readers on a voyage of wonder into history. Get ready for an exciting ride!

Release date – May 5, 2020
Juvenile Fiction: Historical (JUV016000) / Action & Adventure (JUV001000) / Fantasy & Magic (JUV037000)Print 9781939844729 / EBook 9781939844736

A Writer’s Digest Best Site for Writers and The Write Life’s Best Site for Writers.
Founded by author Alex J. Cavanaugh, the Insecure Writer’s Support Group offers support for writers and authors alike. It provides an online database; articles; monthly blog posting; Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram groups; #IWSGPit, and a monthly newsletter. www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com


***


I'm also thrilled to announce that I have an article in the prestigious travel magazine, Destination, which publishes magazines geared towards specific locations in the Caribbean and around the world. My article, "Yard Culture and the Fellowship of Food" is in Destination: US Virgin Islands/British Virgin Islands. The magazine is published only once a year, so my article will be in the hands of readers for a whole year.




***
Being Thankful
What's not to be thankful for?
2019 was a bit rocky, but ended on a high note.
I have a loving husband and sister.
I have a roof over my head, running water, electricity, food
and,
I have my health.

What are you thankful for? How did you begin your writing journey? Do you feel good about what you accomplished in 2019? Are you looking forward to 2020?

25 comments:

  1. Congrats on the anthology and the article! I was eight when I started writing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While The Artist's Way didn't get me writing, it WAS the catalyst for writing my first book. Going through it was a life-changing experience for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a book that has a way of moving a person forward in a nice, non-threatening, non-didactic way.

      Delete
  3. Such happy publication news! And hearing about how supportive your mother was makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your publication news. I'm glad your mother was so helpful in allowing you to find your gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, my mom was very supportive towards anything my sister or I were interested in.

      Delete
  5. The grils - funny!
    That's awesome you use your mother's words in each book.
    Congratulations again on being in the IWSG anthology.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an honor to be able to use her words. And I'm thrilled to be in the anthology.

      Delete
  6. Look, "gril" I'm here to say I'd read anything you wrote! Anytime. Congratulations on your upcoming publication. If your mum's alive, please give her a hug for me. If she's passed, please send her my best. She raised an awesome daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks, Joylene! My mom's gone on to other adventures, but I'm sure she's smiling.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your article!

    And a personally signed copy of The Artist's Way...very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well yes, it's personally signed by my mother, not the author...

      Delete
  8. Congrats on your publishing news. And yes, you have a lot to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was sweet of your mom to send that book. That's also sweet you put those words in every book. Are they in your IWSG anthology story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it isn't. Do I still have to time to slip it in there somewhere?

      Delete
  10. I love that note from your mom and that you use her words in every book. That makes both the books and her words extra special.

    Congrats on the anthology acceptance and your article in DESTINATION.

    You're on a roll! Happy 2020 :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I follow you on gfc # 452 ,follow back?

    https://insandfashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it's wonderful that it was your mother who first encouraged you to continue writing. The last thing I read from you was brilliant, so she was right.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your article in "Destination!" And of course, the anthology! What a thoughtful gift from your mother. I, too, have been inspired by Julia Cameron's "The Artist's Way."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! Have an awesome 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Bish - lovely to know your mother supported you so much back then ... and to know the right book to give you some extra creative inspiration ... to move along. Lucky you - to have those memories to imprint into each of your works - hope you can get it into the anthology - congratulations on that too - cheers and Happy New Year - Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!