Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Wednesday, August 7, 2019

IWSG, Memories, and Writing

Posting the First Wednesday of every month, the Insecure Writer's Support Group, is the brainchild of Alex Cavanaugh. YOU can sign up HERE to participate.

Every month a question will be posed that may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Remember, the question is optional. You can write about anything that relates to your writing journey.

Let's give a warm welcome to our co-hosts:  Renee Scattergood, Sadira Stone, Jacqui Murray, Tamara Narayan, and LG Keltner!


This month's question is: Has your writing ever taken you by surprise? For example, a positive and belated response to a submission you'd forgotten about or an ending you never saw coming?

It's funny, strange, and serendipitous how this question applies to me. I've been in a writing slump for some time. These slumps have happened before and I don't fret over it, as I know no matter how long they last, I'll eventually find my way out of it.

Recently I've been posting pictures with a few lines about the history of my family on the island of St. John in the U.S. Virgin Islands. I've been posting to my Facebook author page , St. John Travel and Life, and to Voices of St. John VI. The multitude of positive and up-lifting responses has been humbling, inspiring, and totally awesome!

These postings led the editor of a magazine - someone I've written for before - to ask me to write a story for her magazine. And not just one story, but perhaps several. And, I'll get paid for it, and handsomely too.

So, to continue in this general vein, I will post here a few of the pictures I've posted on Facebook.






My mother, Erva Claire Boulon, on a donkey at about age 14, 1931 at Trunk Bay, St. John.



My grandmother riding into Cruz Bay, St. John to pick up the mail. 1945. She ran a guest house at Trunk Bay from the late 1930s until World War II then picked up where she left off after the war ended.


My grandmother, Erva Hartwell Boulon on the upper porch of the Main House at Trunk Bay, early 1950s. She ran her guest house without electricity. Doctors, lawyers, and artists stayed there for the quietude and peace she provided.

Among her more well-known guests were the author John Dos Passos, Dr. Robert Oppenheimer and his wife Kitty, and the artist Otto Freid.





This is a postcard from the 1940s of the kitchen at Trunk Bay.
This is me at Trunk Bay, about 1957. I appear to sand skiing.


Being Thankful
Today I'm thankful for the memories and for the opportunity to share them.

What are you thankful for? Has your writing ever surprised you?

12 comments:

  1. How wonderful you are getting paid to write some articles and about things that you are so passionate about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay on that magazine editor reaching out! Fantastic news! Love seeing the old pictures. That one of you sand skiing is really cute.

    Cheers - Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Now you get to share a part of yourself and your history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful news, Bish! Can't wait to hear when and where. As a fellow slumpee I await my surprise...ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is so great about writing for a magazine - and being able to write what you love. Congrats, and looking forward to hearing more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome that you'll get to write stories for the magazine AND get paid. I guess your posts literally paid off :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your pictures and memories about your family. I really enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is wonderful news, Bish! Let us know when your stories come out. Yay and double Yay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bish - so pleased you've been asked to write some stories and are being paid for it ... and what fun you're putting the 'posts' up on FB ... good luck and have fun - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been enjoying your pictures on FB and am so glad they have led to projects. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on being paid to write articles! I love your pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!