Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

IWSG, Hurricane Update, Being Thankful

Posting the First Wednesday of every month, the Insecure Writer's Support Group is the brainchild of Alex Cavanaugh. YOU can sign up HERE to participate.

Every month a question will be posed that may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Remember, the question is optional. You can write about anything that relates to your writing journey.

Let's give a warm welcome to our co-hosts:  Stephen Tremp, Pat Garcia, Angela Wooldridge, Victoria Marie Lees, and Madeline Mora-Summonte!


This month's question is: What do you love about the genre you write in most often?



I write mostly for children, and mostly for middle grade, those 10 to 12 year-old tweeners who are still (hopefully) wide-eyed innocent kids. They are curious explorers, they still (hopefully) like their parents, they may even still (hopefully) believe in things like Santa Claus, magic, elves and fairies. They can be stubborn and sometimes rebellious, but are generally not deliberately angry and hostile. They are growing their flight feathers and making a ruckus in the nest by flapping their wings to make them strong for the day they fledge. They are my favorite age group and I can trace this love back to my own life. It's the magic and wonder I experienced that I want to pass on. And so, my stories have a little magic and wonder woven into them. 

IrMaria Update
It's been five (5!) months since the worst storms in VI history hit the islands and devastated them. But Mother Nature, who can be so destructive, is also a most forgiving goddess. Here is a picture of Magens Bay, on St. Thomas. Miraculously, trees stripped bare of leaves and beaches stripped bare of trees, have returned in emerald splendor.

Things continue to move forward. No, my sister still doesn't have electricity but the reason for that is because she lost part of her roof and she'll need to hire an electrician to inspect and hook her up. In the mean time she is preparing for the day when she'll actually be able to begin repairs on the house by packing up what can be salvaged and putting it into storage. It's a mourning process as she says good-bye to most of her books and electronics and her craft projects. The whole third floor needs to be cleared out so that the old floor can be pulled up, a new floor laid down and a new porch roof installed. All of this will take time and it may be a long while before it all happens.

That said, she is in excellent health and good spirits. The feral hens that skulk about her yard are giving her eggs. Plant life has returned and everything is green and blooming. The beaches are open and tourists are slowly making a comeback. The end of January she went out fishing with a friend and sent me this beautiful picture taken at the end of the day. No fish were caught, but she had a good time.

Being Thankful
Today I'm thankful for my strong and resilient sister. 


What are you thankful for? What do you love about the genre you write in? Ever raised or dealt with feral chickens? 

30 comments:

  1. Your sister is strong. I can't imagine being without electricity and the basics for as long as she and others have endured this. It's a disgrace that our country isn't helping more to fix the problems there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering that the VI and Puerto Rico are territories without the resources that the Continental U.S. has, it is a huge disgrace. The hospitals are still is dire shape with no rebuild in sight...

      Delete
  2. Wow, it's so nice to see the island plant life coming back. Five months without electricity? O_O When we were hit by a Typhoon in the PI, we were only down for a week. That's crazy it's been this long for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's simply amazing that the leaves returned so quickly! You're poor sister. I don't think i could last five minutes without electricity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy reading children's books so much. I've never outgrown them and probably never will. It is also nice to see the praise you have for your sister. It's beautiful.
    Wishing you all the best.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad she is coping and doing what she can - and making time to live and enjoy.
    Those before and after photos are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter is in the age group you write for and I can confirm that she is most of those things (although she has always been a tad cynical with regard to belief in certain things).

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so wonderful the island is coming back to life.

    I've adored all of the stories for youth you've written so far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so happy your sister survived the storm and is healthy. I cannot imagine being without electricity for so long. The island looks beautiful again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful scenery. You know, the earth is resilient. It's the hope that the human spirit follows the same way, but my goodness. The devastation the islands took during the hurricanes... We're dealing with minor fall out and it feels overwhelming. I just can't even imagine...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Writing for children is the treat in of itself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope things go well for your sister and get done ahead of schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So happy to see such a lush looking after picture. Mother Nature is amazing.

    Hope all goes well with your sister's repairs!

    I love magic and wonder in books for kids too. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  13. Applause here for you and your sister! Glad you write for young readers and bring some of those island stories to life for them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The difference in those pictures is amazing, nature really is so resilient! Glad things are returning to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a difference between those two photos! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad your sister is doing well. I have a connection who is currently visiting St. John who has been posting lovely green pictures too. It’s a blessing to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what amazing change! It's so wonderful the trees have come back. Is your sister staying in the house without electricity, or temporarily living elsewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad to hear your sister is doing well overall. She looks happy in the pic. :)

    I once saw a "wild" chicken while out on a run. It probably wasn't really wild/feral but it scared me enough to have me turn tail and run away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Bish - amazing what's happened to bring the island back to life; just difficult for those islanders whose homes were shattered ... however it's good to know your sister has her plans in place for her home and it will eventually (hopefully not too long) before it's repaired. Thanks for the update - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! What a difference after the hurricane. I'm so glad your sister is doing well, Bish. Nature is amazing at how it can bounce back. It does take time, though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I knew there we still problems in Puerto Rico/the Virgin Islands because my son's best friend's (they're both that magical age you love to write for, not quite yet young men, and the world is an amazing place to them both) father is from PR. It is truly insane. Your sister is a brave and grand woman (and I mourn her books and joys as well).

    The trees though are lovely

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like a ghost town! When it all recovers is an unknown, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We had a 6. earthquake this morning at 8:07 mst. Because we're on the top floor (4th) I held my breath. And then I felt dizzy. Mother Nature is powerful, that's for sure. But she makes me appreciate the gentler weather. Best to you, Bish. Sending good vibes to your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love children's stories.
    At the moment, I'm halfway through the Lemony Snicket stories (A Series of Unfortunate Events)and I'm loving it!
    I love the photo contrasts... what a change!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  25. Being thankful is the best way to be in a world that was meant (IMO) to be difficult. I like the picture you posted of your sister. You can see her positive outlook on her face. She's beautiful. (I've been away from blogging for a time but the thought of reconnecting with some old friends and making a few others drew me back. So here I am, proud of all you've published since 2010 when I first began blogging. Like Michelle Wallace (above) I too love children's, and teen, stories. Read them when I was very young and loved them then.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The Irma after picture is disheartening ... the power of nature. And it was such a green and beautiful place before. So brave so many people in the aftermath.

    ReplyDelete
  27. At least the things can be replaced. Your sister will have lots to experience to draw upon when she gets her computer up and running.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can't imagine what it must have been like. Glad to hear that your sister is doing alright.


    www.ficklemillennial.com

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!