Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Monday, February 8, 2016

Alternatives, Black History Month, Go Fly a Kite, Being Thankful

Alternatives is a recurring post in which I give synonyms for an over used word. Click on the tab above for a "complete" list of over used words.

Today's word is:

ImageChef.com - Get codes for Facebook, Hi5, MySpace and more

I can't say I use this word much, but it has shown up on other lists of over used words so... here it is. I was surprised by the number of synonyms. This is probably because a brainstorm can also refer to being crazy.


Depending on how you use it, this list may come in handy for finding another way to say the same thing.


absurd idea, analyze, apprehension, argue, automatic response

blind impulse, boutade, brainchild, brainwave, breakthrough, bright idea, bright thought, brilliant idea

capriccio, caprice, cause, cogitate, come up with, comment, communicate, conceit, conceive, concept, conception, conceptualize, confer, conjure up, consider, consideration, consult, contemplate, crank, craze, crazy idea, create, creative thinking, crotchet

daydream, debate, deliberate, deliriousness, delirium, design, devise, discernment, discovery, discuss, dream up, drive

envision, exchange, explore

fad, fancy, fantasize, fantastic, fantasy, find, flash, fleeting impulse, flimflam, fool’s notion, freak, freakish, free-associate

good idea, gut response

harebrained idea, hatch, humor

idea, ideation

image, improvise, impulse, incoherence, inkling, innovation, insight, inspiration, instinct, inquest , intercommunicate, invent, involuntary impulse

kink

light, light bulb

natural impulse, negotiate, notion

observation, observe, opine, opinion

passing fancy, perceive, perception, plan, ponder, principle, problem-solve, put heads together

quick hunch, quirk

rack brains, ranting, raving, reflect, reflection, reflex, revelation, Round Table

savvy, scheme, share ideas, speculate, study, sudden thought, suggest, suppose, supposition

talk, theorize, theory, think, thought, toy

understanding, urge

vagary, vision

wandering, weigh, whim, whim-wham, whimsy

And now, for your musical enjoyment, from 1977, a lovely song by the group Brainstorm.

***

Today is Fly a Kite Day!
Kitesflying.jpg
Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=92507
***
In honor of Black History Month I'm sharing with you a few famous Virgin Islanders, both American and British.
Wayne Brady.
 Although not born in the Virgin Islands, his family is from there, which accounts for his most excellent accent. Such a talented man!
Wayne Brady 2011

Barbara Christian was born on St. Thomas in 1942 and died in 2000. She was a professor of African-American studies at the University of California at Berkeley and the first African-American to be granted tenure at the university.  She was a pioneer in contemporary American literary feminism.
***
Being Thankful
Today I'm thankful for the wind in the trees. 
It's been breezy here the last few days. It's nice to watch and listen to the live oaks near our home. 
Hubby and I like to think that they are talking to each other as they bend and sway and rustle. 
"I'm so glad to be rid of that dead twig, it's been itching me." 
"I've enjoyed having the robins stop by." 
"I hope we get some rain soon."
***
What are you thankful for? Got a favorite synonym for brainstorm? Do you like to fly kites? I bet you've heard of Wayne Brady, but what about Barbara Christian?

12 comments:

  1. I don't use brainstorm much either, though it's a good word and I do it a fair amount. Maybe I should use it more. I'm feeling really grateful for my life right now and my friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bish - brainstorming ideas ... I think I do that all the time. That's great to read about Barbara Christian and Wayne Brady ...

    Love the Being Thankful poem - we've got your wind now!!?? It is clearing our minds out ... I always want to fly kites - and love watching them .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wayne Brady rocks! The man can improvise, especially when he sings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about brain fart? LOL

    We had the neatest store on the Oregon Coast called Catch the Wind and they always had dozens of really amazing kites, both inside and flying outside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could use a good storm in my brain! Sometimes I'm just in the doldrums.

    I emailed you last week about being a winner. Did you get that? My email has been a bit odd lately, so maybe you didn't. I just need to be reminded of what format you want Double Negative in. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like to fly kites, but I've only fiddled with some cheap ones that were made for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like to fly kites, but I've only fiddled with some cheap ones that were made for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I saw the words "go fly a kite" I immediately started singing the song from Mary Poppins. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. When it comes to brainstorming, I'm a scribbler. Let me physically write out words, ideas, thoughts and you'll get magic. Truthfully though, I think brainstorming is more effective in a group, or with at least one other person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldn't imagine not being thankful living where you do--so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brainstorming is a great word, and a fun activity! I love brainstorming! I'm actually very good at it. Always was an idea girl!
    I'm thankful for the beautiful snow but so looking forward to spring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of synonyms for brainstorm! Wow!

    I didn't know there was a Kite Day. How fun! Must be so pretty to see lots of people flying them.

    What you wrote about the wind is beautiful. I am beautiful for my health today. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!