Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Friday, April 3, 2015

C is for

This is my 6th year for doing the challenge. To learn more go to The A to Z Challenge Blog.

This year it's all about the 
The A to Z of 
A LIZARD'S TAIL


In which I will describe, show pictures of, and otherwise expound on plants and animals mentioned in the novel.






C is for Coral Shower

Coral shower is vine that can grow so thick in the islands it can smother and kill trees. In Texas, where this one is growing, it is non-invasive and quite manageable as it dies back in the winter and regrows from the roots each spring. It goes by many different names. Coral vine, queen's wreath, heavenly vine, rose of Montana, hearts on a chain, confederate vine, bride's tears, chain-of-love, coralita, love vine, Mexican creeper, mountain rose, queen's jewels, and my favorite, lovers at the gate.



Bees love it too.
Can you see the bee in this picture?

C is also for Catch 'n' Keep

 Catch 'n' Keep is a vine-like very thorny bush that makes up a good bit of the "under brush" of the islands. The thorns are small and barbed. The plant's name perfectly describes how annoying it is. Once the thorns latch on your clothing or skin it's very hard to get unlatched. Tangle with catch 'n' keep and you will loose getting ripped clothing and ripped skin.

Close up of the small barbed thorns.

16 comments:

  1. I love the greenery of most plants but some of the invasive vines scare me. I always wonder what could be hiding within the vine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would hate to get stuck with those thorns...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite the variety of plants. I wouldn't want to fall into that last one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manzanita, in the islands you'd have to be aware of wasps that like to build nests on the underside of the leaves. But that's about it.

    Melanie, they are nasty indeed.

    No, Alex, you wouldn't want to fall into catch 'n' keep. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coral Shower has such a pretty name and flower, not so sure about the thorns on the Catch 'n' Keep, but again I like the name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS I forgot to wish you a Happy Easter - Happy Easter xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Bish,

    Thank you! Would you believe I never knew the name of that Coral Shower? I've always wondered though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love all those names in the 1st post- each one could trigger a novel

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know that Mexican Creeper had so many different names! I love vines but they can be contemptible to work with, especially the thorny ones. They are gorgeous though. My favorite is the Star Jasmine. It is so incredibly fragrant and grows like a weed where I am in Central Texas (Austin). I enjoyed reading your post and will look forward to learning more! Happy A-Zing...
    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll avoid getting caught by that one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes! Avoid the catch n keep, note to self.
    God sure has His own plan with plants.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Any kind of thorns can hurt if caught by skin. I don't care for anything thorny. Some of them, like cactus needles sting once the skin is torn or punctured. . .Makes me want to say ouch just thinking about it. I did see the bee after I enlarged the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The coral shower looks beautiful, wouldn't want to stumble across the Catch n Keep, though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know Mexican Creeper, but had no idea it could be so destructive. Unfortunately, I also know catch and keep all too well.

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!