Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Monday, November 18, 2013

The Weight of a Feather



Judy Croome is an author from South Africa. When I read her novel, Dancing in the Shadows of Love, I was blown away and did an interview with her which you can read HERE.

Recently I had the opportunity to read her collection of short stories, The Weight of a Feather. Again, I am blown away. 

I absolutely love the depth and breadth of Judy's writing. In this collection of short stories, she takes the reader on a wide variety of journeys. One can feel like a voyeur peeking vicariously into a person’s life, or be swept into a nightmare.

In the dark, beautiful and horrifying story, “The Last Sacrifice,” one is pulled into the distant past, while in “The Wheel Turns” one is taken into a possible future. There is African bush magic in, “The Leopard and the Lizard,” and satirical humor in, “Rainbow Farm.” There are stories of love, loss and redemption, of faith, hope and despair.


Judy is an artist whose canvass is the blank page and whose medium is words. She paints pictures. Some sparse, some detailed. Some modernistic, some classical. But each can be studied, reread, reviewed, many times over. Reading this collection is rather like walking into a museum and being amazed.

The Weight of a Feather, along with her novel Dancing in the Shadows of Love, and a collection of poetry, a Lamp at Midday, is available on Amazon



About The Weight of a Feather: 
From the classical form of "The Weight of a Feather", first published by The Huffington Post (2013), to the suggestive allegory of "The Leopard and The Lizard", this collection of short stories by South African author Judy Croome is an ideal mix of the familiar and the startling. These vibrant slices of life testify to the mysterious and luminous resources of the human spirit. Whether feeling the harrowing emotion in "The Last Sacrifice" or the jauntiness of "Jannie Vermaak’s New Bicycle", the reader will delight in a plethora of stories that cross boundaries to both challenge and entertain with their variety.

Visit Judy at her BLOG , on Facebook, or on Twitter

18 comments:

  1. Some people have the poetic gift with words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bish, thanks so much for your kind words. I appreciate them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The description 'a mix of the familiar and the startling' is so intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bish - I read Judy's story in the Huffington Post - but hadn't realised she'd got a collection ...

    I do love her writing and positively waxed lyrical about "Dancing in the Shadows of Love" ... I just thought it was wonderful ...

    I'll pop on over to Amazon and order Weight of a Feather and her collection of poetry ..

    Great support for Judy - she has wise head on her ... that comes out in her writings .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't heard of her but I'll have to look her up. You know, when I make it through that huge TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to get this! Judy sent me her book and I too was blown away by her words. She's so gifted. She has sent Christopher and me gifts from South Africa. He holds a special place in his heart for her.

    Love to you and Judy, Bish

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ack! This sounds divine. TBR list... (If this things gets any longer it's going to need its own zip code.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have honored Judy Croome well with this review.

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a very beautifully written review. I love your enthusiasm. Judy must have really inspired you with her works. Thanks for the review, info about her, and for visiting my blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, great to see novel inspire such passion in its readers! Very cool:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bish,

    From what you mention about Judy's writing, I'm very impressed. It's a talent to make the reader feel involved along the journeys.

    Well done to you, Judy. And I shall duly take the liberty of sharing this posting.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love raving recommendations from fellow writers. I will have to check out her work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hopped over to Amazon and read a bit....and Bish, you are correct! I say Wow! I'll have to read her work! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Judy sounds like such an amazing writer. I love poetry! I hope to read her work. Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I will certainly check out Judy's stories after reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds great. I'll look for the ebook.

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!