Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Alternatives for Although

Alternatives is a recurring post in which I give synonyms for an over used word. Click on the tab above for a "complete" list of over used words. 

Today's word is:  

ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more
Most sets of values would give rise to universes that, although they might be very beautiful, would contain no one able to wonder at that beauty.
Steven Hawking.


Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it.

Helen Keller


What's right about America is that although we have a mess of problems, we have great capacity - intellect and resources - to do some thing about them. Henry Ford


Still and all, why bother? Here's my answer. Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone. Kurt Vonnegut

Depending on how you use it, this list may come in handy for finding another way to say the same thing, although, although is wonderfully handy.



admitting, admitting that, after all, after all is said and done, again, albeit, all the same, at all events, at any rate

be it that, be that as it may, but
despite, despite all, despite everything, despite the fact
even, even if, even so, even supposing
for all that
granting, granting all this, granting that
howbeit, however, however that may be
in any case, in any event, in spite of
just the same
much as
nonetheless, notwithstanding
on the other hand
rather
still, supposing, supposing that
taking one thing with another, though
when, whereas, while
yet




Do you have a favorite "although" quote?

4 comments:

  1. Now that's a list I can use! (It's a word I tend to overuse.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to use but, yet, and still as my alternatives. I have a fondness for notwithstanding, but it's not plausible to use in most MG fiction. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!