Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Random Thought Thursday

Today's quote is from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

I think most of us recognize the old man from many wonderful photos. But here he is as a young man looking rather dashing. I see a bit of mischievousness lingering at the corner of his mouth. And there is a look in his eye...as if he knows something he's not telling us about.

Perseverance is an element of success. If you only knock long enough and loud enough at the gate, you are sure to wake up somebody.

Here is a voice from the past (by 1850 he was already well known) telling us the same thing that so many keep telling us:

Keep sending out those manuscripts.
Keep sending queries.
Don't give up, don't give in.
Someone will hear you.

As it is Christmas, here is a favorite poem, it is also a favorite Christmas song, though two of the verses are left out when singing the song. This poem was written when the end of the Civil War was still months away. The north, as well as the south, were weary with war. I love how Longfellow expresses his own despair at the bloodshed ever ending, and then how gloriously hope rings out at the end. Gives me chills every time I read it, sing it. LOVE that last verse.

Christmas Bells

I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old, familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet
The words repeat
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

And thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along
The unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

Till, ringing, singing on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime,
A chant sublime
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

Then from each black, accursed mouth
The cannon thundered in the South,
And with the sound
The carols drowned
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

It was as if an earthquake rent
The hearth-stones of a continent,
And made forlorn
The households born
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!

And in despair I bowed my head;
"There is no peace on earth," I said:
"For hate is strong,
And mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead; nor doth he sleep!
The Wrong shall fail,
The Right prevail,
With peace on earth, good-will to men!"



Merry Christmas everyone!

7 comments:

  1. I've never read that poem before (nor have I heard the song) and it just drove me to tears.

    It's really beautiful.

    Thank you for posting it.

    Have a blessed Christmas.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading the lyrics to songs. I get a new perspective/appreciation for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've only ever heard the "cheerful verses" of the song. Thanks for setting the whole thing in context--it's really quite powerful.

    Have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! Thanks for all the holiday goodness! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Bish! What a great, and very timely, quote. I so needed that.

    great post

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!