Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Clint and Cookies

Today is Clint Eastwood's birthday. He was born in 1930, which makes him...79.

The first movie of his I saw was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. I doubt I saw it the year it came out, which was 1966, because movies got to the islands kind of slow. I probably saw it in 1967 at the Center Theater on Main Street in St. Thomas.

Going to the Center Theater was always a bit of a big deal. I had a favorite place I liked to sit. Upper level, seventh row, middle seat of the row. If someone was sitting in my spot I'd reluctantly moved up or down a row.

Anyway, back to Clint. There was something about him and those spaghetti westerns. I was hooked after that first one, violent as they were for the day. Didn't matter. Maybe it was his playing the strong, silent type, the reluctant anti-hero, the loner, the under-dog.

Maybe it was those blue eyes.

Happy Birthday Mr. Eastwood. Thanks for all the movies.

Today is also National Macaroon Day.

Macaroons are a Jewish tradition, usually made during Passover because they can be made without flour.

Here's an easy recipe which makes at least two dozen.

Pre-heat over to 350, grease cookie sheets

5 cups shredded coconut
1 cup oat or rice flour for binding - you can use regular flour or almond flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 cup milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Mix everything together. Drop by the tsp (or larger if you want them bigger) onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove and immediately take them off the cookie sheet.

Enjoy!

I wonder if Clint likes macaroons?

4 comments:

  1. I love macaroons! Thanks for the recipe.

    Plus, Clint is one of my friend's favs - I'll pass on this info and your bloglink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love macaroons! The GB&U is a great film too. I listen to the theme song all the time. Hope he had a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness! How come I've only seen this post now. I LOVE Clint Eastwood. When I was a kid I had Clint on my pillow, on my Tshirt, on my walls, my ceiling...you get the picture? Very very Belated happy birthday to him!! :)
    Judy (South Africa)

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!