Blog Schedule

I post on Monday with an occasional random blog thrown in for good measure. I do my best to answer all comments via email and visit around on the days I post.

Saturday, December 1, 2007

Hmmm

In less than a year we’ll be deciding…again, as if it made a difference.

This observation by T. H. White from his novel The Book of Merlyn still seems true to me.

“We find that at present the human race is divided politically into one wise man, nine knaves, and ninety fools out of every hundred. That is, by an optimistic observer. The nine knaves assemble themselves under the banner of the most knavish among them, and become, ‘politicians’: the wise man stands out, because he knows himself to be hopelessly out numbered, and devotes himself to poetry, mathematics or philosophy; while the ninety fools plod off behind the banners of the nine villains, according to fancy, into the labyrinths of chicanery, malice and warfare.”

Hmmm.... We cannot all be wise men, certainly we are not all knaves, so we must be the fools.

1 comment:

  1. We are fools for letting the knaves get away with so much, year after year. I've never read TH White, but this passage certainly piqued my interest. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Your Random Thoughts are most welcome!